Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

accidental folders merge

• Please log in to reply

Daiko

Daiko

• Pip
  • 7 posts
...I was playing around with this program Open Canvas (it's software akin to Photoshop) and was about to save some artwork that I was coloring and loaded the "Save as" menu when I accidentally highlighted two folders at the same time and some how -Merged them together- when I tried double-clicking on the folder to open it... -sigh-

I was foolish enough not to have created a restore point earlier, and unfortunately I haven't been able to make backup CDs of my files since my CD burner hasn't been working properly late last year- I tried hitting the "Undo" button, but it only brought back one folder and one image out of at least 200mb of artworks

I've resigned myself to the worst- and though it's sad that I might have lost all my recent digital art... I can handle it, but I am desperately hoping that all those files of mine can be recovered- that they're lurking somewhere on my hard drive in the temp files waiting to be found. I'm not much of a hacker, so I don't know where to look but I have been trying! Also, the fact that when I checked how much disk space was being taken up, it doesn't seem as if all the files have been deleted so that gives me some hope as well...

-in advance, I thank you guys for whatever help you can offer... please keep in mind that I may not be able to respond quickly as I am typing this from the family PC at my residence and won't be able to be online steadily- thanks again!

-Daiko~
(finds herself in a mess of her own making *sad*)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Daiko...

If you know the name of one of your missing files, use the Windows Search feature to "find" the file. Once the search has located the missing file, right click on the file in the Search Results pane and choose "Open containing folder". Copy/Paste the file to a new folder.

wannabe1

Daiko

Daiko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
-so that means, that I will have to search for each file, One by One and recover them -Manually- in this fashion? ...I never would of thought of that, but one thing does come to mind for me: does it matter if I have turned off Indexing in XP? -because I have...

thanks though...

EDIT: Also, what if there were Several folders within the folder that was merged/lost? -would I be able to recover those as well? (there were a few... *wants them back badly*)

-Daiko~
(will do what she can!~ )

Edited by Daiko, 04 July 2006 - 09:54 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If a file is found, using the "Open containing folder" may show you more than one of your missing files, and may actually show them all.

Turning off the indexing should not effect the search.

Daiko

Daiko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yay, my initial problem is solved and your method worked Exactly as you said it would :whistling:

...I tried what you said and got All my files BACK!!!~
so for me, Life is Wonderful!

Thank You~~~

...and the only little thing that remains is this: "What should I do about the strange duplicate files?"
since I now have perfect duplicates in an invisible folder (they don't seem to be taking up very much space on my hard drive, but this does seem rather odd)

Anyway, even if I am stuck with multiple files- that really isn't as bad as the thought of having lost -EVERYTHING- so, you have my Gratitude.

*happy happy happy happy happy....*
^-^

-Daiko~
(is obviously happy)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad I could help... :whistling:

You should be able to delete the duplicate files. If they are invisible, they may have been compressed or encrypted...this would explain why they disappeared.

Open "Folder Options" from Control Panel and, under the "View" tab, tick the button next to "Show hidden files and folders". Then scroll down a bit and tick the box next to "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"..."Apply" the change. The folder should now be visible and you should be able to select and delete it.