Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft Installation Issue

• Please log in to reply

Trevalyn

Trevalyn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright Guys... I read the previous forum about the intallation error that popped up, and how the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool tests the RAM for functionality, as well as the BIOS settings correct, etc. I followed that forum, and my RAM cards are fine. My computer has just recovered from a massive spyware/virus (Spyaxe/iworm_attck-v122.02a) that I fixed a few days ago. I am now thinking that this virus messed around with my world of warcraft game somehow. I noticed the graphics were garbled at first, and then I noticed the World of Warcraft Registry wasnt in the add or remove programs in the Control Panel anymore!!! I tried to uninstall it, and it was going fine after i clicked the uninstall icon, but a few seconds after I clicked the icon uninstall, a bunch of errors popped up, and the whole world of warcraft uninstalled from my computer in a matter of seconds! There was nothing in the Program Files anymore either! So I decided to reinstall it, which usually fixes things. My discs are basically brand new, mint condition, and have no scratches whatsoever. I bought this laptop less than a year ago, and the dvd-rw drive is basically brand new as well. I installed this game with the same discs before on the same computer, so theres nothing wrong in that area. So I went to reinstall the game, got to the 4th disc, and received this error:

The installer was unable to read the file "<unknown>". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at --for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "Repack-MPQ\Data#model.MPQ\Creature\HighElf\HighElfFemale_Hunter.m2", and the error code was 38.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::Read)

And on top of that, I received this error following it:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program Files:...mp\Blizzard Installer Bootstrap - 0001ac27\Installer.exe R6025 - pure virtual function call

I looked this second error up in Microsoft's Support Knowledge Base, and was overwhelmed at what the virtual function call was and how to fix it. Can anyone point their finger and lead me the right way? I feel like I'm playing darts in a dark room right about now. :whistling: java script:emoticon(':blink:', 'smid_11')
:help:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
we need to perform a manual install. for some reason it is not reading from the media (I hope this is the orginal factory media and not a burned copy). copy the disc to a place on the hard drive and run the install from there. That means if its 6 cd's, then you will need to copy all 6 cd's to the hard drive.

Trevalyn

Trevalyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK! I did the manual install, and it still would not work on disc 4. So I used another disc 4 that I borrowed from my friend, and it copied good! I installed it, and it worked great! At the end of the install, I clicked on "Play Warcraft", and this error screen popped up:

The instruction at "0x63f86363 referenced memory at "0x63f86363". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

But Warcraft still opened up like normal, and I continued to log in and download the updates for install. Does this error screen mean anything? I havent had any problems with updating and activating the game, but when I started to play the game again, it did the same old thing it was doing before I uninstalled it previously: garbled graphics. The game plays fine, but about every 10-15 minutes, the game lags not because of the internet connection, but for some other reason. I can't even move my character barely! It almost seems like the computer freezes up, but when I press Alt+Tab, my computer runs fast as normal when I'm actively on the desktop. But when I maximize the game screen, its still garbled. After about 2-5 minutes, the garbled graphics goes away and then the game runs fine... until the next wave hits. If anyone has the answer to this gripe, I will surely appreciate if you share it with me. Thank you for your support! :whistling:

Edited by Trevalyn, 05 July 2006 - 06:59 AM.

humminn

humminn

I post links to websites I get a commission from

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
This may help you...

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=262490