Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow startup

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi guys,

Can anyone offer any ideas as to why my computer has all of a sudden decided to take much, much longer to bootup.
It now takes about 200% longer than it used to, for no apparent reason. Ive run Ewido, spybot, Ad Aware, Avast, panda, trendmico and haven't found anything, althoug there a couple of items locked in the Avast quarantine chest.

I have an Intel Motherboard and at bootup previoulsy a screen with a few words came up for about 3secs, now it appears for about 14/15secs.

Running
XP home with SP2
Zone AlarmPro
Ewido
Avast
Adaware
Spybot
Hard drive 80gig (about) 15% used)

Many thanks

Granpaj

Edited by grandpa, 04 July 2006 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Hopefully all these programs listed have been kept up-to-date on their respective data bases. You possibly are still infected with malware. Please go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Click Here link. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Major Payne

Firstly thank you so much for your help. I have done as suggested.

I have however,found the following files in the Avast antivirus Quarantine chest, I don't know whether its significant or not, or in fact what I should do with them.

kernel32.dll
winsock.dll
wsock32.dll

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Grandpa

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I find it somewhat odd those files are there....they are all important windows files, though they may be older versions replaced by a windows update

any date on when they were quaranteened

As for the slowness, there is at least one malware issues in your hijackthis log, so lets let them take a crack at it, but I have got to ask one question--I see that windows genuine advantage and wga notification have been altered....your doing?

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

The files were quarintined 23/06/07.

No I haven't altered any files, as I really don't know what Im doing, so I leave things alone.

Many thanks for your help

Kind regards

Grandpa

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lets wait until malware takes a crack, then come back here--the major will be gone for a few days but I should be around

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

Im not sure what you mean. Is it that the "people" in Malware will need to look.

Chers and thanks

Grandpa

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, we have a very specialized approach to PC problem solving here at geekstogo.

Malware people are specially trained to deal with all manner of malware and we in OS handle...well, everything else

It is best to remove the malware first so it is not in the way when/if we get to work on the non-malware stuff

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

Many thanks for that, and your unselfish help.

Much appreciated

Kind regards

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

Many thanks for that, and your unselfish help.

Much appreciated

Kind regards

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

I have disconected my printer a few days ago, and the computer seems to run without a hitch, so I guess there might be something thats upsetting it.. I thought about uninstall/reinstall, but figured whatever was causing the problem would just return. I don't know whethet this info helps or not.

Many thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
interesting...

i see that they have not answered your post

You should post in the waiting room to
http://www.geekstogo..._Room-f100.html

to let them know they missed you--as it is, you still have at least one malware issue to my recollection

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

Many thnaks

Kind regards

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi gerryf

Any idea how long it takes the Malaware team to take a look.

Cheers

grandpa