Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new computer

• Please log in to reply

aprilmay

aprilmay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My new Computer has just arrived, Im so happy BUT not sure what my first job should be so thought I would double check before I did anything.

I bought the Computer without windows because I have a windows disk from my old PC. XP Pro.

Now do I just go ahead and install XP and how should I partition the 200 GIG hard drive.

Will it boot and read the CD drive?

cheers and thanks
aprilmay

Also do I have to re download all the windows updates I have sp 2 with the windows disk or can I get them from my old PC?

Ta

Edited by aprilmay, 04 July 2006 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
unless you want to keep your files seperalty from c:........yea go ahead and partion it........ it should be set as the defualt to boot form the cd.........if not you can change it to do so in the BIOS.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi aprilmay...

daniel_c is essentially correct in the general direction to take. You'll start the machine with the Windows installation cd in the cd-rom drive...it should begin the process automatically. Your first choice will be to decide if you want to create an additional partition. With a 200 gig drive, you may want to do that, but you can wait and see if the machine recognizes the whole drive.

If you choose not to create a second partition at this time, the worst that will usually happen is that you will end up with some unallocated space at the end of the drive. This can be reclaimed later using the computer management feature in XP. For ease of installation, I usually recommend letting Windows install to it's defaults and address any space allocation issues after the installation is complete.

There is a decent guide for a clean install of Windows XP available HERE.

wannabe1

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hold on now, you didn't use this CD on another computer already did you? I hope you have more than one license if that be the case. If it's a single-license CD, and it has already been used, then you cannot use it on this new computer. Make sure that's all checked before you try anything.

aprilmay

aprilmay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I have a XP that can be used on my new PC

How do I know if the PC has had the motherboard set up and the drivers installed ..can I do any damage trying to boot it up if it hasn't.

I am going to tackle it tomorrow I'm from Australia so its Wednesday Night here...

Thank to everyone who is trying to help me, I really do appreciate it

aprilmay

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll install the motherboard drivers after the operating system has installed. You should have received the necesary software with the machine. If you didn't get this software, you can contact the manufacturer (builder) of the machine to get it, or you can download the drivers after the os install.

If your XP cd is a retail version, you may install it on any machine you wish, so long as it is being used on only one machine. You may have to activate XP by phone if it has been used on another machine.

wannabe1

aprilmay

aprilmay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK now things are beginning to make sense thanks..
Im of to bed now goodnight!

aprilmay

aprilmay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Reporting back...
I managed to do it without a hitch thanks to you all holding my hand.
so Thank you very much

I probably did it a bit back to front but not to bad for a budding geek.
I partitioned 20 gig while I was installing XP then used Partition magic once the OS was installed

I have to say I expected to see a bigger improvement in speed but am a little dissapaointed I think my old PC AMD 1.4 512 RAM seemed faster
This New PC is AMD athlon 3500+ with 1 GIG Ram but maybe I have to do a bit of tweeking to see an improvement, all new at the moment so need to experiment.

cheers and thank you
aprilmay