Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox doesn't like QuickTime...

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've been using Firefox on this computer for nearly a year now, and never once has it let me use QuickTime. Whenever I try to open something that should use it (recently: VGMusic.com's midi files), it says:
"The QuickTime Plug-in requires the QuickTime System extension version 5 or later. QuickTime is available from [url="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/""]http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/"[/url]
So I go to that site, make sure I have the latest QuickTime software, and then try again. It gives me the exact same message. My solution to the problem was to use IE, which has WMP as the default media player instead of QuickTime, and such things work perfectly. So my question is... is there a way to either make QuickTime work properly, or even better, make Firefox use WMP (or something else) as its default media player?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Get all your Plugins for Firefox at Mozilla. Quicktime, WMP, RealPlayer, etc.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 July 2006 - 10:56 PM.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I went to that site, downloaded WMP v10, tried a problem-site again, and it still gave me the quicktime error. So I went back, decided to try updating QuickTime since WMP obviously wouldn't fix it, and it redirected me to the same site that I get in the error message (which, as I've said, doesn't fix the problem). Is there any way to change the default media player from within firefox's options, or will I have to open up a media player and select "make this my default media player" from somewhere within that program?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You have to install each PLUGIN for Firefox to work. If you have a Quicktime problem because of FF, then you need the Quicktime Plugin installed. WMP will not fix a problem with Quicktime as it is Apple's. If are having problems with these plugins installed in FF, then uninstall them, close FF, reopen FF and see if they will work. If you don't know what Plugins are installed, then type about:plugins into FF's Address Window and click either Go or hit Enter.

Ron