Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just upgarded the MOBO to ECS P4M800-Pro V 1.0A and P4 processore with 1G DDR2 PC4200 (533MHz) 1 mem module.
I mounted the old HD (I want to keep all the data, programs etc) and old DVD and CD-ROM drives.
I changed the BIOS Set up to recognize the HD and CD-ROMs etc., set the boot devices etc.
The system is using on board video, audio, lan and USB etc.
The system boots up, goes through its memroy check, detects the drives, then I get an error message saying XP did not start properly with options to start in Safe mode, Safe mode with network,...., normal mode etc.
Whichever mode I choose, it suddenly gives a blank screen, and "RGB Input not detected" message (which I usually get when the monitor is turned on before the CPU boots up), then CPU reboots, ending with XP start options again.
The HD is ok, since it worked in the old system.
Did I miss any step in set up or anything?
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I don't know if this can help but somebody else had a problem where their computer kept on restarting.. Maybe you can check this out:
http://www.geekstogo...er-t119720.html

cheers

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I just upgarded the MOBO to ECS P4M800-Pro V 1.0A and P4 processore with 1G DDR2 PC4200 (533MHz) 1 mem module.
I mounted the old HD (I want to keep all the data, programs etc) and old DVD and CD-ROM drives.
I changed the BIOS Set up to recognize the HD and CD-ROMs etc., set the boot devices etc.
The system is using on board video, audio, lan and USB etc.
The system boots up, goes through its memroy check, detects the drives, then I get an error message saying XP did not start properly with options to start in Safe mode, Safe mode with network,...., normal mode etc.
Whichever mode I choose, it suddenly gives a blank screen, and "RGB Input not detected" message (which I usually get when the monitor is turned on before the CPU boots up), then CPU reboots, ending with XP start options again.
The HD is ok, since it worked in the old system.
Did I miss any step in set up or anything?
Thanks for your help.

What I would do is save all of your data that you want to keep and reformat your harddrive and install a fresh copy of windows xp on it. Do a full format and use ntfs file system. After you install windows and get to the desktop for the first time, install all of your drivers for the pc like motherboard drivers, video card drivers, network card drivers, etc.. Depending on what sound card you use xp will pick up your sound drivers automatically sometimes if its a pci card sound card... If you have integrated sound its on the motherboard cd..

When you get a new pc or motherboard your suppost to do a full format on the harddrive that you previously had and you use it as your master or "Operating system hard drive", that way it will clean up any unnecessary files it doesnt need like the old motherboard drivers and such.. Its always good to do this.

:whistling:

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ouch ! I was hoping to avoid that. Thats why I didnt want to put a new HD in. I guess I should have checked first.
Is there a way to save not just the data files but also all the programs, e-mails etc? Its not just the XP install but I guess I'll have to go through all program installs (Office, Quciken, Firefox etc) too.