Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Help] system tray icons problems

• Please log in to reply

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
for some strange reason all of my system tray icons do not show up..I do not have any of them hidden at all.

If i want my network connection icon to show up i have to go into sound and audio devices in the control panel and click show volume icon (which doesn't show up until that is clicked anyway) I have done mass searching on the internet for a solution to this problem but no luck....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what if you right click NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD, then right click your LOCAL AREA CONNECTION icon, then choose SHOW ICON IN NOTIFICATION area....

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have that checked, but it won't actually show up until i click show volume icon in the sound and audio control panel....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you right click the task bar and choose PROPERTIES > check HIDE INACTIVE, then click the CUSTOMIZE button....are these items set to ALWAYS HIDE, HIDE WIN INACTIVE, or ALWAYS SHOW?

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
as i stated in my first post, none are hidden. Even if it was hidden, that wouldnt explain why i have to make the volume icon show to see the other network connection icons.....

Edited by Kaemon, 05 July 2006 - 03:36 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what you stated in your first post does not mean that none of them are hidden...it is vague.

If you have the overall setting to HIDE INACTIVE ICONS, that does not mean the individual icons cannot have icon specific settings.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please take a look here:

http://www.kellys-ko...com/xp_n.htm#na

does any of that sound relevent?

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes, i applied 3 of thoe tweaks, i will see if they work and post back...

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
they worked perfectly, thanx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so all is well? can you tell which did the trick?

Kaemon

Kaemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i stand corrected, after explorer crashed once they went away again....so i had to recheck place volume icon in the taskbar to get them back

Edited by Kaemon, 05 July 2006 - 10:34 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why did explorer crash?

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.