Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply

cpd164

cpd164

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don’t know what has been going on with my laptop. It all started yesterday when I tried to watch Independence Day on my laptop. The video would work for a while, then it would start to get laggy and skippy. Now anytime I try to play anything with video it starts to do that. The same thing happens when I try to play BF1942. Well, everything went to [bleep] when I thought it was my anti virus causing the problems, so I uninstalled it. As soon as I did, my computer was killed with spyware and viruses, lucky after 25 hours of [bleep] I was able to get them all off, and now I am running Zone Alarm.

But I still have the same problem, my video is not working worth crap, and I have no idea why. I haven’t changed any settings, and I have tested to see if my video card was working..it says it is.... I dunno if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

I have also updated all my video drivers, checked on the hardware acceleration, updated my sound drivers, uninstalled both audio and video drivers and installed new ones.

I called HP, but my Warranty expired less then a month ago, so they refused to help me over the phone, so I chatted with one of their online tech’s, they haven’t helped either.

I am out of ideas what to do, so if anyone can help, it would be very wonderful.

My video card is an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.
HP Pavilion Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition with Service Pack 2.
AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500 + 2.19 GHz 512MB RAM.

Edited by cpd164, 05 July 2006 - 08:43 PM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Whatever is causing your problem, I think you need to establish beyond a doubt that your machine is clean.
You can do this in the malware forum
Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

The other thing that comes to mind is your secondary IDE port setting. If your Windows resets it from DMA to PIO this can cause jerky playback. The following is quoted from here:

First check what mode your secondary IDE port is currently working in. Go to Device Manager: right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and check whether it is set to DMA when available. Directly underneath that setting is a grey field that shows the actual working mode of your IDE channel. You want the highest possible DMA or Ultra DMA mode there, and you definitely don't want PIO mode.

I recommend reading the whole article before trying any of those fixes. This is for after your malware clean bill of health, of course.

Digikiwi