Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Temperature

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am using P4 506 2.66 GHz processor with 1 G memory module.
Is there an operating temperature that is optimal? I checked the CPU Temp on Bios and it said the CPU Temp was at ~47-49 C (110-115F) and system temp was ~105 F.
- Is it normal to have such a diff in CPU vs system temp?
- Also, is that a normal temp for the processor to run at? It feels really hot !!
- The Bios has an option to regulate fan speed based on temp. (SMART fan control) Is it a useful option ?(default is disabled).

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes 49 C is a bit hot i have a P4 runing at 3.2GHz from 3.0GHz and it runs at around 38-39C on stock cooling. Does your case have pleabty of airflow? and have you cleaned it out lately? your CPU could be getting a bit to hot when you load it. it could rise to around 60-65 degress and that is way to hot for a CPU i would suggest buying a can of compressed air and giving the inside of your case a good clean out.

try that first and see if that helps,
troppo

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am just bulding it, so new chasis, new MOBO, new CPU. CPU obvisouly has a fan on HS (boxed intel cpu), Power supply has a fan, chasis is actually open (system fan is not plugged in but the chasis is open). The temp was 49 is durin POST and initial boot.
One question i have is, there didnt seem to be any plastic on the HS connector (on the bottom), and the instruction said not to distrurb the glue on the bottom of the HS, so i didnt take anything off before mounting the HS. Should i have? it was a boxed P4 so it is intel HS and fan assembly.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if you didnt remove any plastic then then chances are you are going to blow up your CPU!

shut down the computer straight away and remove the heatsink and fan assembally.

remove the piece of plastic and see if there is any thermal compound under there if not go and get some artic silver 5 compound and place a nice thin layer of that on it then reseat it.

troppo