Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

t_money662

t_money662

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an e-machine, a few years old, model number t2040. I have been having some issues lately, today the computer won't turn on..Earlier it would turn on by itself, but not boot up, rather make strange noises, and the power light would just flash on and off. It soulded like it was "stuck" or something, and I could only stop this by unplugging it. My first hunch was that the power supply was bad, and I unscrewed it, and heard a rattling inside, which was a capacitor that had come undsoldered, and it fell out..

So it seems I would start at a new power supply.. The one that is in there now is a Bestek model atx-250-12e. It says 250v max output...However I have been looking around on ebay for a replacement, and see mostly 350 and 500 volt supplies..Does this matter? I have never had to replace a power supply, but it looks easy. I am just not sure if I should try and find the exact same one, or will a different one do the job..? Also, is the number of wires that come out of power supplies standard, or should I find one that exactly looks like mine?Also, I noticed different numbers of pins advertised with power supplies..how many does mine have?
thanks in advance...

Edited by t_money662, 05 July 2006 - 10:42 PM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I can't give you a full answer, but basically the more powerful PSUs will also work for you. It just means they are capable of giving more power (You can still drive at 30 mph in a Ferrari, right?). The main things to watch out for is the actual size - will it fit into your box? - and which connectors it takes. That second question I'll have to look into and get back to you.

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
If you want to stick with your same model, try your search again. You had a typo: Bestec rather than "-tek."

There seem to be many of this model on Ebay or through a Google search engine.

I just used:
atx-250-12e bestec

I have an e-machine, a few years old, model number t2040. I have been having some issues lately, today the computer won't turn on..Earlier it would turn on by itself, but not boot up, rather make strange noises, and the power light would just flash on and off. It soulded like it was "stuck" or something, and I could only stop this by unplugging it. My first hunch was that the power supply was bad, and I unscrewed it, and heard a rattling inside, which was a capacitor that had come undsoldered, and it fell out..

So it seems I would start at a new power supply.. The one that is in there now is a Bestek model atx-250-12e. It says 250v max output...However I have been looking around on ebay for a replacement, and see mostly 350 and 500 volt supplies..Does this matter? I have never had to replace a power supply, but it looks easy. I am just not sure if I should try and find the exact same one, or will a different one do the job..? Also, is the number of wires that come out of power supplies standard, or should I find one that exactly looks like mine?Also, I noticed different numbers of pins advertised with power supplies..how many does mine have?
thanks in advance...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Bestec is junk! I personally know of 3 e-machines, all that had a Bestec PSU, and they all failed after 3 years.

I wish I knew which PSUs are good, but I can definately tell you that if you get another Bestec, expect it to go out after about 3 years! :whistling:

t_money662

t_money662

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright..finally I got my replacement power supply off ebay, same type-just 300v instead of 250...Installed it, and honestly I was expecting everything to work a-ok again...but of course not.

Pc isn't turning on at all..when i first connected the power cord to the power supply in back, it made a very small electrical pop sound, and the fan in the power supply moved ever so slightly. But nothing when i pushed the power button..I was pretty sure that the power supply was the problem,due to the fact that a capacitor fell out of it..Up untill last week everything was great with my computer..Could the motherboard just poop out on me out of the blue?
What would be my next step..I am really tired of using my laptop in my home ofice..
thanks alot

t_money662

t_money662

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Anyone?
I really ned to get this resolved.
I found a similar thread about this type of problem suggesting that I strip everything down, and try to power up with just the motherboard, then add each card/drive one by one.. no luck there

What is the best/right way to see if my motherboard is shot?