Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows XP taking forever

• Please log in to reply

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I Wrote Zeros To my drives last night because I kept getting the blue screen of death (it worked sometimes) and my harddrive was filled with a bunch of garbage so i wanted to start over. Then, i partitioned it this mourning now then booted up with a windows xp cd-rom about 3 hours ago to install windows. First it went there an initialization that took like an hour and for the past 2 hours Windows has been installing and it has went from 39 minutes remaining to 37 minutes remaining and is still moving the green progress bar very slowly. any idea why it is lagging or doing this? :whistling:

i dont think i want to stop it because i might screw it up and i don't want to have to do this again and take just as long. :blink:

edit: 36 minutes now*

Edited by -JuSTiN-, 06 July 2006 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Can't really say. It's very unusual happening. May be you must start it over again. Most probably either your installation media might be not ok or hard disk partitioning might have some issue. Do partition your hard disk again, and get your file system checked. Then start installation again. If you have any network adapter and is on any network, then pull out the network wire. May be xp installation might be trying to access network.

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i got 32 minutes remaining..i just got to the step where you put in the product key and set date and time...right now it is installing something else..im too far in now to try and restart but thanks..i guess theres nothing i can do..i just want to know why..once [or if it finishing installing without errors] i will post whethre the machine is still lagging because if it is then i really have problems...it wasnt lagging last time i used it so i dont know why it is now during this install

Edited by -JuSTiN-, 06 July 2006 - 03:31 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Leave it running, let it complete. Windows is on occasion fussy when it comes to setting it up for reasons that aren't really clear. It seems to do it on occasion yet worked fine ten minutes earlier.

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, well i let it go and it finally basically finished and it did the final rebooting and then XP started loading and then the blue screen that says Microsoft Windows XP comes up and it is just frozen there. The mouse clicker is there and it scrolls around without any lag or anything but it is just frozen there and when i put in a different CD-Rom for recovery it doesn't read it and instead starts Windows again [with any cd]

How can I make it not start Windows and read a CD or what's another way I can fix this?

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
When the computer was installing slowly, or when it froze... Was there any hard disk activity?

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
weird but after it was frozing i repartioned it [so i could put a CD-ROM in again] and i used a backup windows xp cd i made a couple years ago and it worked perfectly and im on the computer now...also, i had some CPU option disabled in bios and that is why I think it was lagging the first time i installed Windows.

Now i need to figure out how to get Sevice Pack 2 on here without screwing it up. But this is amazing how much more smoothly my comptuer is currently running and it feels good to be junky program, error, spyware, and virus free