Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What type of motherboard do I buy?

• Please log in to reply

keki03

keki03

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So, I'm new at this whole hardware thing. My mom's computer died almost a year ago (Dell Dimension 3000). After finally getting the computer myself, I figure out that the motherboard is dead. I spoke with one of my tech friends (I work at a help desk...ha!) and he said that all I really needed to do is strip the old motherboard and transfer the stuff to the new mobo. I don't know what type of motherboard to buy.

This is the current motherboard (what I can gather from Dell):
PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 533, D0

This is the motherboard that I have found:

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1139

Is this an okay motherboard? Is there another one I should get? Mom's computer isn't under warranty anymore.

Thanks!!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So, I'm new at this whole hardware thing. My mom's computer died almost a year ago (Dell Dimension 3000). After finally getting the computer myself, I figure out that the motherboard is dead. I spoke with one of my tech friends (I work at a help desk...ha!) and he said that all I really needed to do is strip the old motherboard and transfer the stuff to the new mobo. I don't know what type of motherboard to buy.

This is the current motherboard (what I can gather from Dell):
PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 533, D0

This is the motherboard that I have found:

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1139

Is this an okay motherboard? Is there another one I should get? Mom's computer isn't under warranty anymore.

Thanks!!

That one would be fine and is kind of similar to what dell already puts into some of their pc's..

Bad thing about it is the mobo doesnt have an agp slot for a graphics card. You are stuck with the crappy integrated graphics so dont play on doing much gaming at all.. Very little..

Thats the same board they put in some of the older emachines pc's.

Its an alright board but if you want to game get a board with an agp slot.

Edit**

Another thing you will have to get a new powersupply also because dell uses proprietary power supplies which are special purpose for dell only. The old dell powersupply currently in it will not work with a non dell motherboard..

Edited by jrm20, 06 July 2006 - 05:44 PM.

keki03

keki03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks!