Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN/ETHERNET PROBLEM WITH MY FIRST DSL MODEM EVER!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello,

I just ordered internet and recived my modem. With the company "Netscape". I got high speed DSL. Anyways everything worked fine. I set my modem up properly and than I used the cd-rom they had asked me to install before connecting the ethernet cable on the back of my pc. Anyways as I finished installing the software cd, I than hooked up the ethernet cable to the back of my pc. I could'nt get on the internet.

So I called netscape. The guy there told me to tell him the error number from the netscape program and told me that it was not the modem that it was my pc. He helped me make a new internet connection through the control panel and choosing network connections. Anyways after that he told me to see if what was listed under the network connections. I told him all that was listed was:

- Broadband

- & Dial Up (which he made me make)

He told me to look for something called LAN. He asked me if there was a header that said "LAN" in the white field. I said no. So all he told me was he could'nt help me any longer and that it was up to me to see a tech. What a waste of time. Anyways the last thing he told me was if I had a new pc. I told him no I have a pentium 3 (If you wanna know exactly what kind of pc I have look below at my signature). Anyways he said that the ethernet port controller or something like that must be turned off in the bios or not turned on in winxp (home edition). I dunno... He told me I could try and turn it on by myself in the bios. But that he could'nt help me anymore.

After hanging up I went into the bios, and tried to find anything. I did'nt know what to do so I just exited discarding any changes in the bios. & than my pc restarted nicely with the little "Local Area Connection" icon in my system tray. Wow I thought I had internet now. So I chose to connect to the connection he helped me make using the icon I had for it on my desktop. Than I finally got online. The internet worked. I even checked the network connections and the "LAN or High Speed Internet" was listed there with these:

- Broadband

- & Dial Up (which he made me make)

- & now the Lan one I just said

So I tried an experiment... I restarted my pc, and this time it was gone. The lan in network connections and the little icon in the sys tray. I had to do the same thing I did before going into the bios and discarding everything and than it worked again. What is the problem? How do I fix this so I don't have to go through all that to have my internet work?

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
i fixed this problem. sorry guys i had an option named kinda like this: "integrated network interface" disabled in the bios.

i apologize. everything seems fine now.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
No need to apologise, chief.. You solved your own problem :blink: Great job :whistling: Thanks for letting us know how you managed to solve it.