Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alpha Centauri and Port Forwarding

• Please log in to reply

torus

torus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been having a lot of trouble configuring my router for port forwarding for the game Alpha Centauri in Windows XP pro (Alien Crossfire, specifially).

The PC I want to play it on is actually sharing an internet connection with another PC through a crossover cable. Alpha Centauri needs ports 47624 TCP open, and 2300-2400 for TCP and UDP open (something to do with directx, I have heard somewhere).

The router I use is a Linksys WRT45G. I am just not sure what to do. I have opened the ports up with port forwarding with my router's configuration and some other random settings that I doubted would even help. Nothing worked.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hi torus and welcome to G2G.

First, connect the game machine directly to the internet connection, bypassing all other comps and the router.

If that works, connect to the internet with just the router, and then with the other comp.

This will tell us what device is the problem.

If the final comp is found to be the problem, run the Network Setup Wizard in the Control Panel to setup Internet Connection Sharing. It may help to run Network Setup Wizard for each step as your configuration will change.

:whistling:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 06 July 2006 - 08:43 PM.

torus

torus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome :whistling:

Sorry I didn't fully explain. I can access the internet from the client pc on the shared internet connection. Its just this specific game and the client pc that I cannot set the router up correctly.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Suit yourself.

torus

torus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Uhh....what? Suit myself how? I was just stating that internet connection sharing works fine. Should I still try the steps you have reccomended? Will the Network Config Wiz change something that will make play of Alpha Centauri through my router and behind a shared connection possible?

Thanks again, though I am :whistling: