Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install new Pioneer K06 DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

greigwise

greigwise

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought this Pioneer K06 DVD Drive from Newegg. I installed it into my VPR Matrix 185a5. The BIOS and Windows recognized it fine. I can see it in the device manager, everything looks AOK. That is until I try to insert a disc. This particular drive is a slot drive and it simply won't "suck in" the media.

In addition to windows recognizing it, on boot, I can hear it whir and if I leave a CD partially inserted (as far as it will go it sticks out about 1/2 inch or so), it will eject it.

Is there anything on the software side (bad drivers / firmware) that would cause it to behave like this? I've also read that sometimes these drives have firmware that forces the drive to be a master or slave and this is not changeable via jumpers. My laptop sees the CD as a secondary master. If the drive was configured in firmware to be a slave, would this be the behavior one would expect?

This is actually my second drive. I sent back the first one for an exchange assuming it was defective. They both behaved the way I've described above. Is it possible I have a second defective drive? Seems unlikely to me.

Can anyone offer any advice.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Greig Wise

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. 2nd drive and same problem? Hmm, like you I suspect it may not be that the second drive is bad as well, althought it is possible. Have you gone to the manufacturer's web page and searched for information on this problem? It may be a known issue for which they have a solution readily available. The drive should be under manufacturer's warranty. Of course, you could RMA the drive to Newegg and see if you can get a different drive instead. Lots of great drives available at Newegg. Who needs the hassle???? New drive should be plug and play, wouldn't you think?