Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tip to remove 'Past Items' won't work on XP Home?

• Please log in to reply

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yesterday 'gerryf' responded to a post asking if it's possible to remove the list of 'Past Items' in the taskbar customize dialogue. The suggested registry edit doesn't work on my PC (XP Home SP2). I followed the steps exactly. Something just puts the deleted value back into the registry when I reboot. I notice the original poster said he's using XP Pro SP2 whereas I'm using XP Home SP2. Would that explain why the registry hack doesn't work for me? I've repeated the process 3 times exactly as per instructions. Same result every time. ???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are the ones that are comming back..related to programs that are set to run at startup?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi dsenette, thanks for your reply. The 'Past items' list contains all the same items as before, including the old stuff that's no longer installed which I removed completely months ago. It's just the same list as it was before I tried the list removal tip posted by gerryf. Same number of items listed, half of them redundant and definitely not set to run at startup.

Like the OP said, it's no big deal you can just ignore it. But I like to think I know how to tweak most things in Windows, and this is annoying cos it's got me beat!

Edited by pip22, 07 July 2006 - 02:54 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in addition to searching
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

do a search on the registry for "TrayNotify"

there may be one under LOCALMACHINE or one of the other registry hives

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Thanks gerry. There was another 'TrayNotify' key with a 'PastIconsStream' value -- so i deleted that as well as the other one I already knew about from your tip. And guess what? -- The old list of 'Past items' is still there, and both values I deleted have been automatically restored!!

Thanks for everyones help but I'll pass on this one -- more important things to spend my time on!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and where was the other one?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

and where was the other one?

Hi Gerry. The other traynotify key was here:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-823518204-839522115-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify