Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Contacts - is there a maximum capacity?

• Please log in to reply

domps

domps

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am thinking of using Outlook contacts to store all the details of my customers - and this will be hundreds possibly thousands of entries.

so....
1) will outlook become unstable with large numbers of contact records?
2) is there a maximum working limit for this?
3) has anyone experienced problems with storing large numbers of records?
4) would it be better to use an off the shelf database for this?

thanks
domps

Edited by domps, 08 July 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi domps,

Early versions of the Exchange client supported about 16,000 items per folder. Outlook, with large table support enabled, supports about 65,000 items per folder. (Large table support is the default for new pst's created since Outlook98.) Outlook 2003 with a Unicode format *.pst or *.ost can have an unlimited number of items.

These limits apply to all folder types and subfolders count as 'items', so you could have 60000 folders and 5,000 messages, with each of the 60,000 folders containing 65,000 messages, at least until you hit the ANSI pst size limit of 2GB.

http://www.outlook-t...03/20031223.htm

I know at least one global company that uses Outlook 2002 to store several thousand email users and contacts, without any great problems.

You could use another database for your contacts and setup a merge with that database.

HTH