Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"other people are logged on to this computer" during startup

• Please log in to reply

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Whenever I restart my computer, the login prompt comes up, I type in my password, it says 'Windows is starting up...' and then it just sits at the blank screen without making any progress. So I press the restart button (IBM ThinkPad R51) for a second, and then a message comes up that says:

"Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue shutting down?"

If I say No, then nothing happens and it goes back to the blank screen. If I say Yes, then my desktop comes up and everything works fine.

After browsing online I realized many people had a similar problem, but only when shutting down their computers, not starting up. I tried some of the solutions recommended for that problem, but nothing has worked.

I'm the only person who uses this computer and I'm not connected to any other computers over a network, and my wireless has WEP encryption.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think the error you are having is that you are logged on, just not all the way...some sort of authentication error, perhaps

What I would do is log on as you have, including the second time, create a second user profile in control panel > Users

Reboot, log in to the second profile? does the problem repeat?

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I made the second account and tried rebooting with it, but unfortunately, the same problem occurred. And also the same thing after I tried with the original profile again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs that might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I value my ritz crackers, so I added it as an attachment :whistling:

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, who is lien van de kelder other than what appears to be a very attractive young lady?

this is a setting I have never seen before
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [http://www.lienvandekelder.be] \Lien Van de Kelder.exe

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have no clue what that is.... should i get rid of it?

i just searched google and found that it is a "mass-mailing worm" !!

Edited by bdfhawk, 08 July 2006 - 05:26 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks so much for all your help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have at at least one, maybe two other things running I am unfamiliar with, so lets see what malware have to say