Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop errors on boot-up!

• Please log in to reply

barefoothuck

barefoothuck

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've recently been getting windows stop errors during my boot-up on XP. It usually happens 2-3 times, shutting down my computer each time, until I can finally boot-up safely. The only major software changes I've made have been installing SP2 to my XP using Windows Update. But due to a power outage at my house, the sp2 installation was interrupted and was unistalled, and then re-installed safely again. I've since had problems downloading further updates, such as installing the Windows Installer 3.1.

The info I have on the stop errors are this:

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? : No (see Next steps)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Does anyone know anything that might can help? Should i uninstall sp2 and see if that solves the problem?

Thanks
-Huck

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi barefoothuck...

Try running a System Restore to a date before you installed SP2 the first time. Does the problem still exist after doing this?

wannabe1

barefoothuck

barefoothuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Unfortunately I don't have a restore point that dates back that far...

Huck

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model of your machine? Is your XP installation cd an OEM version or a retail version?

barefoothuck

barefoothuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
HP Pavillion xf335 Notebook...256 ram, S3 Twistker K video card, 1.5gb AMD Athlon, Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I got this computer from a friend in trade for some work. I honestly can't say how or who installed the xp, but I deleted most of the spy/mal/ad-ware and cleaned up the disk, and unfortunately in the process deleting the restore points.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bummer...

The next time you get the machine running, click Start, then Run, type chkdsk /r and click "Ok". When told that the volume is busy and asked if you want to schedule the test to run on the next boot, type Y and press "Enter".

This check is going to take a while...let it finish.