Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe non-responsive?

• Please log in to reply

_Ryan_

_Ryan_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, for the past couple of days I've been having a rather unique issue with my computer. Yesterday I gave up on finding out what was causing it, and I reformatted my computer, only to find that the problem was still there.

It seems like explorer.exe isn't responding like half of the time. When I start up my computer and log in, nothing on my desktop can be clicked, and a way I found to temorarily solve this is to open up task manager and click something on there. When this is done, everything is clickable again. Another problem is none of the icons can be moved when my desktop is responsive, I cannot drag them anywhere. Another problem is, if I neglect my taskbar for long enough, say I'm having a chat with someone online and I have no need to move my mouse because I am doing nothing else, the taskbar will then become non-responsive, the only way to fix this being to open up task manager and click something on there. And the last problem is sometimes I am not able to change what part I am on of the window which I have open...for example, on Firefox if I have two tabs open, I will not be able to switch to another tab, and pretty much anything on firefox cannot be clicked except for the web page that I am on.

I have tried several solutions. I have changed many of my hardware components to see if that was the issue. The only pieces I cannot change are the motherboard, the processor, and the hard drive. I've run tests on my processor and it seems to be doing great. And these problems still persisted when the hardware components were altered.

This issue sounds absolutely absurd when I attempt to explain it, but I've done my best. It seems like all of the issues link to explorer.exe, seeing as that is what keeps the taskbar and desktop running. I sincerely hope someone here can help me out with this, cause it's an absolute pain in the [bleep]. Thanks in advance

- Ryan

Edited by _Ryan_, 08 July 2006 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Hmmm... you just wiped the drive clean with a format and then reinstalled everything and it is still happening? No obvious solution comes to me so I did a search at M$ for explorer.exe does not respond, got some 200 hits. There may be something there that will help.
http://support.micro...l...r&cat=False

_Ryan_

_Ryan_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for looking that up for me austin_o. But it seems after much time being spent looking for a solution, it ended up being my Logitech G7 laser gaming mouse. I've been paying close attention to it, and it seems like whenever i move it very fast either violently or very suddenly, it goes into autoscroll mode and I am no loger able to click anything in my taskbar, and like I said before, the only way I can seem to fix it is to open up task manager, but it's a very pathetic solution because it only seems to work until I move my mouse fast again. Now that I've found specifics, would you guys have any idea how to fix this? I have the latest logitech software installed, I installed it just now. At first I was using no software, and now that it is installed the problem is still persisting. Any other suggestions though? Thanks a lot.

*Edit* - Ahh, and another poor way of fixing the problem for a short time is to click the scroll wheel in, which deactivates the autoscroll, letting me click again.

Edited by _Ryan_, 08 July 2006 - 07:50 PM.