Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Gaming System Build

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Hi, I'm going to be making a new gaming system and I needed some help with some parts.

Pro- AMD Athlon-64 2.4Ghz (3800+)
Mot- MSI DDR2, SATA
RAM- 1024MB DDR-2
Vid- Geforce7600GT 256MB 128bit GDR3 PCIExpressx16
HD- SATA-II 2500KS 250GB 7200RPM, 16MB
PS- 500Watt Dual Fan

Pro- Will this one be able to run Oblivion?
Mot- I have no idea about motherboards...
RAM- Should I get a 1GB instead? I know they the same. Is DDR-2 good?
Vid- Will this one be good to play Oblivion and is PCI-E good?

Please help me out as soon as possable!
:whistling:

Edited by zestron, 08 July 2006 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmm well I don't claim to be an expert on building computers (in fact I just started researching in March), I can tell you some things.

First off, unless your going to literally die without a new computer, wait 20 days or so. AMD is slashing prices on CPU's considerably and so you might want to consider buying a better processor with the new price cuts. I don't know how much money is an issue for you.

Also, look into the Intel Core 2 Duo Processors (named Conroe). For the pricing and power coming with it, it will be worth it (being released relatively soon, July 14th? or 24th?)

Your current processor will be fine for Oblivion. Any dual-core will be fine. Oblivion was optimized to take use of both cores (multithreading), so any dual-core will work.

Motherboard should be fine as well. However, provide a more specific model por favor.

Your RAM looks fine as well. But it all depends on what your looking for. If you are building a computer for the future (in terms of gaming), start looking at 2gig RAM. The latest games are already being made with 1gb RAM recommended. So figure this will last for another 1-2 years and the next leap in gaming will require 2gb. Maximize efficieny and longevity of your new comp.

Video card will wtfpwn Oblivion. But once again, I caution you. Current video cards run on DirectX 9 (technically 9.0C). DirectX is like the "current" form of graphic capability so to speak. Graphically speaking, you can only go so far with DX9. DirectX10 cards are coming out by the end of the year. DirectX10 is truly next-generation technology. The downside, only Windows Vista (the new operating system) can utilize it. And that creates a whole new load of problems.

Basically everything looks good as it is. However, the problem I'm faced with is that its the worst possible position to be in. Can you wait half a year or so till all this wonderful stuff comes?

What I'd do is get a relatively cheap but powerful graphics card. For around $110, get the X1600 Pro. Its quite a powerful card for a relatively cheap price, and will last you until DX10 comes out. Unless your not going for Vista.

Note that I am a relatively amateur person when it comes to this. I hope I've done my research right. But wait until WarriorScot posts, or JRM posts. They really know their stuff.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
wait for a few months until all of the new tech comes out.

even if you wait till MAD slashes their prices it wont be worth it anyone here will tell you to wait until conroa comes out its intels first 64bit CPU and kicksthe crap out of the AMD FX 60 by far.

and also dont by a grahics card yet wait for DX10 its heaps more powerfull and is the next generation.

in a few months all of the new tech will come out. wait and see all of it will get released at the same time.

vista will be ready for the new tech as soon as it comes out.

seriously just wait a few months until it all comes out because if not you would already be buying a outdated system it might be awsome now but in the next few months it will be second rate.

troppo

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Make sure that if you are getting DDR2 memory that you buy the memory sticks in pairs. If you want 1gig of memory in DDR2, get two 512MB DDR2 memory sticks. If you want 2gigs of memory, get two 1gig DDR2 memory sticks and so on. That is the only way DDR2 will work.

Edited by Anton1382, 09 July 2006 - 07:20 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Anton seriously do you know anything about memory at all?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Make sure that if you are getting DDR2 memory that you buy the memory sticks in pairs. If you want 1gig of memory in DDR2, get two 512MB DDR2 memory sticks. If you want 2gigs of memory, get two 1gig DDR2 memory sticks and so on. That is the only way DDR2 will work.

You are thinking about the old rambus 800 memory. Rambus was the weird type of ram that used pairs in order to work.

Edited by jrm20, 09 July 2006 - 10:44 AM.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Actually, I dont have much to choose from because I am going to be getting a company called MysteryByte to make it. I'm just going to pick what I want on their list and they do it for me. The website is called www.mysterybyte.com, it's a local buisness.

I hope this will help.

As for waiting for new stuff to come out, will everything cost a lot more? My limit is $1200-$1300

Edited by zestron, 09 July 2006 - 11:15 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Actually, I dont have much to choose from because I am going to be getting a company called MysteryByte to make it. I'm just going to pick what I want on their list and they do it for me. The website is called www.mysterybyte.com, it's a local buisness.

I hope this will help.

As for waiting for new stuff to come out, will everything cost a lot more? My limit is $1200-$1300

If you wait for the new intel conroe processors they come from low priced to higher price ranges..

The E6600 is the 2.40ghz version and its only $315 for the processor alone if you built it yourself that is..

It still has the 4mb cache like the e6700 2.67ghz conroe cpu has.

Well if you buy it from a computer place like that they will probably overprice it because of it being new technology and just released when it comes out..

If you were building an intel conroe pc yourself when they come out you could build one for $1300 the 2.40ghz version, which is the pc alone and nothing else like a monitor etc..

Those 2 conroe processors pretty much demolish all of the current processors out on the market right now. Not including the server line of processors because they are in a totally different league we arent talking about those.

You could buy a pc now and amd am2 would be fine but personally I would watch how much I spent on a video card so you can upgrade your video card to the new directx 10 line and then get the new operating system to take advantage of dx10.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
What the [bleep] are you talking about..
What is DX10? Why is it so good?
Should should I be waiting to see on the market exactly?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Oh yea, and you guys sure reply fast

Advertisements

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Here is part of the quote that I made on their website that I thought might be nice.

AMD - Athlon-64 2.4Ghz, AM2 32/64 Bit, 512K, (3800+) Retail Box

MSI K9N-NEO-F, AM2, NF550, DDR2, SATA RAID, 1GbL, 8CH, Audio

OCZ Value Pro 1024MB DDR-2 / 667MHz / PC-5400 / Limited Lifetime

eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce7600GT KO 256MB 128bit GDR3 PCIExpressx16 VideoCard-R

WD Caviar SE-16 / SATA-II 2500KS 250GB 7200RPM, 16MB, U300 3YR MFG

LITEON SHW160P6S05 (Black) (16X+-) DVD±RW DL, DUAL LAYER OEM w/ Software

ASPIRE X-CRUISER w/WINDOW (Black) w/o PS

Nikao Best Power 500Watt ATX P4/AMD 20+4Pin Dual Fan (+12v 28a, +5v 34a) (2YR MB)

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
DX10 is the next DirectX being released alongside Windows Vista, with the hardware being released first.

When you have a DX10 game, video card, and operating system they can all take advantage of new features that aren't possible in older DirectX versions. It is going to be an improvement in both visuals and speed.

Core 2 Duo is a new processor line coming from Intel, and are based from an architecture much different than their older Netburst (Pentium 4/D.) They're even shaped up to extinguish Athlon 64s flame which have been dominating the market for a while now. As soon as the initial Core 2 Duo processors come out, they're going to be just about the best deals mid range and up, but if you go with AM2 now you won't be able to switch to Core 2 Duo without a whole new motherboard. AM2's processors and future don't exactly look bad, but it just isn't as enticing as Intel's LGA 775, Conroe, and upcoming quad-core Kentsfield.

It's usually not good to just wait around for new technology because you will be waiting forever! However I think that at least the Core 2 Duo line is an exception and worth waiting for (less then 3 weeks!). On the other hand a midrange graphics card like the 7600GT will be fine for a while, and you can upgrade to DirectX10 with no problem when there's a game you want that requires it such as Halo 3. Besides... we know barely anything about what ATI and Nvidia are cooking up and when exactly they're going to be released.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I just want to know if MysteryByte (where it's commign from, read above) is going to stock these new processors and stuff.

What part of the computer is DX-10 goign to be part of?

And about Windows Vista, is it really worth spending a couple hundred on a cool looking windows, just use WindowsBlinds..

PS: I'm not getting my new computer for a month at least.

Edited by zestron, 09 July 2006 - 08:23 PM.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
1. DX-10 will be a part of your video card. All current video cards are DX-9 compatible.
2. Windows Vista is truly next-gen technology. Especially in terms of gaming. Thats all I can tell you because I don't know too much about it.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I don't know MysteryByte or their shipments at all but if they know what's good for them they'll be stocking them.

The only piece of hardware that needs to be "DirectX 10" is the video card. Remember that a DirectX10 card will have no problem using DirectX9 automatically when the game or OS doesn't use DirectX10.

Like you said, you may not even get Vista for a while so it would be pointless to wait so long for a DX10 card in which you can't even use the DX10 features of without spending another couple hundred for Vista. Go for midrange DX9 now.