Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OSX 10.4 and Windows XP Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply

Reeco

Reeco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone,
I need a little help setting up a wireless network. I have a Ibook G3 and want to network so I can connect to xtra wireless from the home computer which is running XP. so I brought a D-Link DI-524 Router and a D-Link DWL-G122 Wireless USB adapter because that was the only Wireless USB adapter that worked with Ibook because I don't have an airport card. So I connected the router to the Xtra wireless box then plugged it into the computer and installed it. Then i installed the Wireless adapter on the ibook and it picked up the Network. But neither the computer or the laptop will connect to the internet. So I unplugged the router and plugged the ethernet cable back into the computer and to the wireless box and it worked fine it just don't seem to want to run through the router. So I have no idea what I'm doing wrong I just followed the instructions. Does anyone have any idea or know how to setup a wireless network so I can have the net on the laptop?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Greetings Reeco,

I think the first step for you should be getting your Windows computer connected to the Internet via the router; if you can do that, then we'll move onto the OSX. Do you plan to connect both computers Wirelessly? But as I said, let's focus on the Windows -- so, depending on how you wish to connect it, please follow one of the following tutorials (either wired, or wireless):
SpaceCowboy's Wired Networking Tutorial
SpaceCowboy's Wireless Networking Tutorial

Let me know how you go.

Reeco

Reeco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Dan,
Thanks for that help! I've got the computer all up and running through the router, really happy about that! :blink: The only one I want wireless is the Laptop so I have the computer all wired up now. But still have no idea about setting up the laptop wireless I have the Wireless USB adapter installed on the iBook so whats my next step?

Thanks Heaps :whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Glad to hear you got the Windows computer up and running :whistling: I'm afraid that my instructions in regards to setting up your OSX will be a little hazy as I'm not overly familiar with this OS.. But they should hopefully be clear enough to allow you to work out what needs to be done.. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

On the OS X computer, please open up the Network pane. In this pane, you should see number of tabs; one of these tabs should contain the name of your Wireless USB adapter (eg: Airport). Select this tab.. You should then see a checkbox besides an option along the lines of "Status menu bar" -- ensure this is checked. Once you check this, it will create a menu bar -- in this menu bar, ensure that your adapter is turned On. In the "Default join" section, select Preferred Networks. Click the the + (plus) button below the empty table of wireless network names. A sheet will be displayed, allowing you to specify a wireless network name and its security settings. In the Network name pop-up menu/field, select your network -- it will display the SSID of your router. For now, we'll try to get you setup without security, so the Wireless Security pop-up menu should be set to None. Click OK to dismiss this sheet and return. The table of preferred networks should now contain just a single entry, with your networks name and a security setting of None. You should, theoretically, be able to connect to your network now.. assuming of course that you were able to follow the steps.. Any luck?