Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge mess made of PC

• Please log in to reply

nickyb78

nickyb78

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I said in a previous post that my PC would not boot up because

windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt.

I have been trying different things to try to get into the system and out of desperation I used the recovery disc that came with my PC. I have made matters worse and now I have 4 OS to choose from on the boot screen, none of them work very well and some not at all and Im now stumped and annoyed with myself for messing around with something I know nothing about!

I really want to just get rid of the lot and restore to factory state but it wont even give me the f10 recovery option now. Im not as technical as some on this forum so I need my help in idiot speak.

Please help. Im desperate!

Advertisements

nickyb78

nickyb78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

Ok so I think its not all as horrendous as I thought! The only thing that I feel I need to do is get rid of a couple of these OS that I dont want. The one Im using now seems ok.....dont ask me how I sorted it! Im not sure.

Advice on how to get rid of these 2 useless OS would be good.

Thanks

Nicky

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click Start > Run and type msconfig. Click OK.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab
Click on Check All Boot Paths.
If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay
to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes/OK and then reboot

Make sure to keep the good one

nickyb78

nickyb78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have done that and it has worked for all the extra o/s except one. I think this is because this is a good version also. Thing is I only need the one o/s but I dont know how to delete the extra one as it does not give me the option.

Thanks

Nicky

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will need to have one, is that all it shows

nickyb78

nickyb78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No there are still 2. But because they are both ok it seems, Im not given the option to delete anymore.

I did not do a clean installation. Should I just start again from scratch, I have got my important files out now.

Thanks

Nicky

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it give you a choice of versions to use at it boots?

nickyb78

nickyb78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes. And since yesterday the one that I was using is now not loading past the xp screen and will only work in safe mode. Am going to do a clean instal from scratch because its all a bit of a mess.