Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somewhat similar issue...some programs no longer run

• Please log in to reply

hc84037

hc84037

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been doing computers for a long time, but this one has me rather perplexed. I got a call saying that Quickbooks would no longer run. However, Firefox, word, etc still run fine. First action as to have them run a virus scan (AVG) and came back clean, as expected. So I took posession of the machine, and sure enough clickin on the icon it wont run, it starts with a minor splash screen like its starting but then acts like it shuts down. Looking in task manager, it also shows not running. OK, so lets check for a restore point....who knows what might have happend? Did a restore from the day before....no change. Went hunting for the program files itself, and clicked on the exe file and task manager showed something running but nothing showing up on the screen.

OK...so did a backup of the directories, and re-installing the program. It is a legit copy, not bootleg so I have the original install CD.

So as I am waiting for it to install again...figured I'd ask the question. The other strange thing is from windows manger...HELP will NOT run either. Everything was working fine the day before.

So...any ideas oh guru's?

-----------------------------------------

Did a reinstall of the Quickbooks sw...no change. Acts like its starting..then dies. Created a new user as well....no difference.

Edited by hc84037, 09 July 2006 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Before you started having trouble do you remember installing or uninstalling anything? Did you run a program you don't normally run...or mess with settings...did you do anything out of your "routine"? Do other people use your PC? If so, ask them these kinds of questions.

Edited by Hyperspace, 09 July 2006 - 09:38 PM.

hc84037

hc84037

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thats the hard part...this isnt my machine, I'm just the guy who gets the call when something doesnt work (I design hardware....i dont fix software!!). Sooo....thats why I did a system restore from the day before when it was working, hoping to fix it, but no luck. As far as I know, the machine was running just fine then someone else came in and started firefox (no dowloads...just browsing) and then it appeared to no longer function.

The strange thing is that 3 versions of quickbooks was on the system....an old directory, and then standard and pro in the main program directory. Hmmm...windows is easily confused so I did a backup of the files, zipped them up and deleted all but the one directory that the desktop icon was pointed at.

The initial splash screen comes up...does the hourglass like yep...im a workin.....then poof...drops out and nothing.

Recall that the HELP also does not bring up the main help screen. I'd almost suspect a virus? but ran AVG and it was clean.

hc84037

hc84037

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK...the solution was.....it was a couple corrupt DLL files. Who knows how they became corrupted...but they did.

Linux doesnt use DLL files...