Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

Beetle

Beetle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I want to build a gaming PC. I have all the parts selected, but I just want to know everyone's opinion on any part that I chose and what they might replace it with. Lets just say my budget is $1200 and my current
wishlist is like $1500 so I'm just mainly looking for help on downgrading my wishlist a little bit
(and to make sure everything is compatible). I want to be able to play hl2 or bf2 with good quality settings. These are all from newegg.com. thank you for your help.
Ive heard building is cheaper, and if all parts are compatible i can build no problem, but I found this http://www.cyberpowe...tra7500.asp?v=d prebuilt pc and it seems to do what I want but its much cheaper. Why is this?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CHAINTECH SE6600G Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2 - Retail

SAMSUNG 740N-Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail

ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW1608P2S - OEM

Advertisements

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
You have two options available. Both include waiting like 20 days.

I noted your processor and that is quite an expensive processor. If you wait just a bit longer, you can buy the Intel Core 2 Duo processor we all call Conroe. The mid-range processor, which easily beats out any AMD chip is around 350$ if memory serves.

Or you can wait the same amount of time for the AMD price cuts. Basically, if you do that you can currently buy a top end X2 5000 for a cheaper price than your 4800. Saves you some green either way :whistling:

And depending on how soon you need this computer and how much extra you can save, there are some other options available.

Edited by SecretMaster, 09 July 2006 - 09:19 PM.

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I want it good to go by mid august, or asap. I'm going off to college and I dont wanna have to hunt down hardware pieces when im in college. Other than my cpu being a little pricey, does everything seem to be compatible with one another?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I want to build a gaming PC. I have all the parts selected, but I just want to know everyone's opinion on any part that I chose and what they might replace it with. Lets just say my budget is $1200 and my current
wishlist is like $1500 so I'm just mainly looking for help on downgrading my wishlist a little bit
(and to make sure everything is compatible). I want to be able to play hl2 or bf2 with good quality settings. These are all from newegg.com. thank you for your help.
Ive heard building is cheaper, and if all parts are compatible i can build no problem, but I found this http://www.cyberpowe...tra7500.asp?v=d prebuilt pc and it seems to do what I want but its much cheaper. Why is this?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CHAINTECH SE6600G Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2 - Retail

SAMSUNG 740N-Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail

ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW1608P2S - OEM

Well what I would change is the case.. You can get a nice case that looks better than that for $80-$100 or so.

The case isnt very attractive but look at coolermaster, aspire or antec cases and thermaltake makes some decent cases.

I wouldnt buy an asus motherboard me and a couple other techs on here dont like them so much anymore because awhile back they rushed them out and alot of them were dead on arrival or having problems..

If your gonna stay cheap like $70 for a motherboard then look at the gigabyte motherboards.

In my opinion I wouldnt buy socket 939 right now because socket am2 by amd is already out and why stay back a step below the current socket or stay back a generation behind?? Its in the same situation when socket 939 was first released and the socket 754 boards went out of style. Socket 939 is gonna be out of style very soon, especially when Intel releases the brand new Intel Conroe processors. Intel conroe is going to be released by the end of the month and is also called the intel core 2 duo. The intel conroe is going to change the gamers / pc market when it comes out.. Many of the amd guys that has been a fan of them since the beginning will turn to the intel conroe because of the price to performance ratio.. The intel conroe has benchmarks out on the net and the intel conroe e6700 2.67ghz dual core processor stomps all over amd fx-60 and fx-62. The intel conroe beats them both at every test/benchmark even gaming. The price is about 1/2 of the price of amd fx-60 and fx-62 also and that is whats so impressive. So 1/2th the price of the competition for the 2.67 ghz intel conroe chip, and it beats them at just about every test/benchmark. I just thought you might want to know about the new Intel conroe chip. I let everyone know about it so they have a decision to make if they want to wait or not for it.. The e6700 2.67 ghz is around $530 and the e6600 2.40ghz is going to be around $315. Even the 2.40 ghz intel conroe processor still beats amd fx-60 and fx-62 at almost every test so that is a great deal. The intel conroe 2.40 ghz chip is 1/4th the price of the competiton chips by amd.. Its a great deal and you cannot beat it for the 2.40 ghz conroe..

If you need a pc NOW get a socket am2 by amd they are fine. Atleast if you get the newer amd socket you will have the upgradability later on.

Its smart to get a cheap video card for now with good performance for the money because of the directx 10 and directx 10 video cards coming out by the end of the year. I would not get a nvidia geforce 6600gt though because its not great performance for the money. For the same price you can get an ati x1600pro which is alittle tad better but it also has newer technology because the 6600 series came out awhile back.. Even though I like nvidia better the x1600pro by ati is the better deal..

If I were in your situation I would get a x1600pro or either pay alittle more for an nvidia 7600gt and it could hold you off until directx10 video cards come out. If you didnt know, directx 10 will only work with a directx 10 compatable video card and you have to get the new operating system as well. SO, none of the Current video cards are compatable with Directx 10. As I said the new dx10 cards should be out by the end of the year. If you want directx10 you have to get the supported hardware which isnt even out and you have to get the new operating system which isnt out either.

Yes the current video cards will still be able to play games based on directx10 architecture, this means the "newer" games like crysis from crytek which arent even out yet. It just means if you have a directx 9 video card and directx 9 drivers and you try to play a NEW to come dx10 game it will force the game to run in the dx9 mode that is all..

So, its up to you what you want to decide on for a video card or ask yourself if you want to wait..

Alot of people are building an am2 system and getting a cheap video card to hold them off until the new dx10 cards and the new operating system come out which is smart and totally fine.

Others are waiting for the Intel conroe processors and will also go the route with the cheap video card to hold them off for awhile.

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you all about this new technology coming out and tell you my opinion.

Now its time for you to decide.

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok thanks for the help, im gonna edit my specs and get back to this topic when I'm done later.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also the cyber power system might be cheaper because builders will often use cheaper parts, they save a little because they buy bulk but really the biggest saving is the little things they skimp on they use whatever is cheapest at the time in the systems wether or not its the best thing to put in it, the biggest advantage of building is you are ensured high quality because you pick the parts, and because you build it yourself you save the assembly fees you would otherwise be liable for.

If you want something now i agree with JRM get the AM2 with some ddr2 memory, has the advantage of better upgradability and the prices arent alot more than 939 if at all and the mobos are newer and better.

I like the case and its well reviewed at least it was when gigabyte previewed it but its a little pricey.

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, so I assume I'm going to have to pick a new mobo if I pick an am2 cpu.

As far as the case goes, I WANT a cool-looking case, but its not needed, but I do want one that has good air flow.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cool is in the eyes of the beholder, some of the best looking cases arent the best cases, and some of the best cases arent the best lookers you have to find your balance as you pay through the nose for both,

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, here are the new parts I've switched out according to everyone's advice:

A cheaper case that gets the job done:
ATRIX CSCI-A9001-C4 Black SECC steel sheeting FCC class CB&CE approved ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
----
An am2-compatible mobo and cpu:
ECS C51GM-M (V1.0) Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA3500CNBOX - Retail

So now my prices are down to about $820 and I can afford to buy a better _______. What do you suggest I fill that blank with? A better vid card or large screen monitor or whatever you suggest?

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Im not A Fan Boy, I run Both Intel p4's and AMD FX and X2 series, July 24th Intel releases its Conroe processor and on the 25th AMD expected to cut 100's of dollars off of most thier processors, even 50% off some of there better lines. you could end up getting a FX60 or a X2 4800+ for 500 bux or less, where the top of the line conroes I, believe will be around 516.00 upto 700.00 USD.. Now With this Conrow Intel is Gambling all its marbles on its new state of the art architecture... I will be impressed even more if the retail chips once released do what they bragg on it doing, seen A benchmark and overclock of a conroe at 6.2mghz I believe last week....But seeing is beleiving even if you go amd, by waiting on the 25th of July you could build even a bigger monster... this is all up to you... NO pressure "Go CONROE" NO "GO AMD" no go Intel, no GO AMD" lol... but there is allways atari or Xbox or what not... hehe

ralem

ralem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Im basically trying to build the same computer as he is but for a little less money. Would it be reasonable to substitute cheaper memory like this
OCZ PC-6400 2x512MB EL Gold

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Technically, for most purposes 2gigs is alittle bit overdone, but i thought what the heck. a gig is good

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No 2Gbs is a good amount for a new system, i would get a better mobo myself ECS isnt that bad a brand but they arent the best. With the price drops you will probably be able to afford an X2.

The conroes look to be really good performance wise the top two conroes are neck and neck with the FX62 for gaming. The only problem is with core2 is the motherboards being ridiculously expensive.

Beetle

Beetle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
1gig or 2 depends on what ya want to play or do yata yata.