Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Computer Failure HELP!

• Please log in to reply

keroppi

keroppi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I have a major problem with my computer and would greatly appreciate help.

Yesterday while playing music and a card game on my computer, a message came up on the screen saying that iexplore doesnt work or explorer doesnt work. It said that it will close all the programs running. When that message appeared the computer froze and had to be restarted.

During restart the following message appeared on the screen:

Boot from CD:
Boot from CD:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I have since attempted to load windows in safe mode and use the startup disk but without any success. All that comes up is a command prompt. I cannot load windows at all. I have looked in the Windows help file on the startup disk and tried all the options available including running scandisk, scanreg, and fdisk but none of these worked. I have also tried to check the bios to see if the problem could be fixed there.

I believe that the hard disk is not working since error messages appear saying "Invalid media type reading drive C:", however, I do not know how to fix this problem and would like any help that you can provide. The bios cannot detect my hard drive. It may also be a virus on the computer or something else I am unsure of.

I have tried opening up the computer and checking the connections to the hard drive without any success. I have tried to shake the hard drive a little as well.

Thanks for reading my post and for any help you can give.

Advertisements

keroppi

keroppi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to mention that my system specifications:

AMD XP 2500+
512MB RAM
80GB Seagate HDD
DVD and CD-R

I am running Windows Me upgraded from Win 98 (I know its a crap OS)

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would go ahead and buy another HD and reinstall windows. If you have another computer you can use install the drive in the other computer as a slave and use the seagate tools to see if the drive is bad.

http://www.seagate.c...pport/seatools/

SRX660

keroppi

keroppi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you think there is 1) any way that I can save the hard drive including the data stored inside it or 2) a method of retrieving the data stored on the drive or 3) whether this problem can be fixed by a parts repairer? (I have over 2years of information on the drive.) If so, please let me know.

Cheers.

keroppi

keroppi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone else please?

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
As SRX said, if you have access to a second computer take your harddrive out and connect it as a slave to the second computer and see if the harddrive will work. If you dont have access to a second PC then take your PC or the harddrive to your local computer shop and they can figure it out for you as well. If the harddrive is dead the chances of you getting files off of it are slim.