Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Lockup Problems

• Please log in to reply

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, I posted here before when I was getting help for my brother, and I figured since I've had a problem going on for a while I might as well try to get help. Any will be appreciated.

So a couple months back I started having a problem with video files on my PC. But before I dive too deep into specifics, I'll list the video sites that do not lock up my PC: YouTube, Google Video, and more of the sort. Just about everything else though causes the following problem.

Scenario 1:

I have a video file here. I right click for a preview using PicaView (or double-click to open Windows media player, realplayer, ect) and almost instantly everything starts locking up. My computer is almost unaccesible at this point, and only during quick, maybe 2 second spazzes my PC has where I can move the mouse, execute programs and so forth, can I do anything about closing the file so my PC unlocks.
Usually, if I'm browsing around, say on Myspace just for example, I open somebody's page and they have the video on autoplay. Everything will start locking up, if I was listening to music it will start skipping, much like the sound of clicking your tongue 100 times fast. I'll slam Ctrl Alt Delete 50 and a half times before it pops up, and eventually close the firefox process.

I am unsure of the problem here, I have tried closing as many programs as possible before opening said video files, I've also tried several media players. no go.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you only get this problem when using firefox or does it also happen when using Internet Explorer?

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It occurs with IE as well. my main problem here is I can't view virtually any videos on my computer

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Are your video drivers up-to-date?

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am 90% sure they are up to date. I updated the drivers to my GeForce Nvidia 6600 NX a few months back and there are no new updates

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Does the sound also lock up or just the video?

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, the sound locks up too. Pretty much everything does, mouse, control, ect

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Any more help..??

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
When your PC locks up and you het CTRL-ALT-DEL 50 and a half times, can you see which processes are taking up CPU-usage?
Also, could you check (in taskmanager as well) your memory usage?

Syd-Wolff

Syd-Wolff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
"When your PC locks up and you het CTRL-ALT-DEL 50 and a half times, can you see which processes are taking up CPU-usage?
Also, could you check (in taskmanager as well) your memory usage?"

Everything looks normal actually, Firefox.exe (when I can see it between freeze/unfreezes) is at 100,000-124,000 KB process