Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate Again Virutal Memory

• Please log in to reply

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi

I have no idea why virtual memory is so low. I did remove pest patrol from pc but I seem to have lost a lot of memory. Ad Ware, Trend Microsoft and Zone Alarm are saying I dont have any viruses or adwares. Yet, I keep getting a message that says virtual memory is too low. This happens after I have been on not too long and without having done very much. I ran window washer program too. I then ran umm disk degfragmentor. I notice that from the last time I ran it that it was about 78 percent free and now its 66 per cent free. Yet, I havent added any new programs.

I have no idea what Im talking about. I just know the pc is slow again.

Thanks

Totally Clueless :whistling:

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I looked at your other posted topic and noticed you're not malware free yet. Please return to that topic and have a moderator re-open the topic so you can get rid of your malware. If you're still having problems after being malware free, please return to This topic.

Thanks for understanding :whistling:

Edited by emery, 10 July 2006 - 01:51 AM.

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No no I was cleared by the malware folks a long time ago. I couldnt remember my user name at the time I had that problem so it was reopened under my sis's account.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
What are the exact words of the message telling you virtual memory is too low and where does it pop up?

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thx for answering ........

Im doing this from memory ......... it come up as a balloon type thing from the bottom right hand side and says windows virtual memory is too low so windows is increasing virtual memory space and some application might not be available while windows increases memory.......... or something close to that

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
When you open task manager on the machine with the virtual memory message, how many processes do you see running?

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Opps I am sorry but I dont know how to make it do it again so I can get the exact wording . I decided to post on here after I closed it because when I ran system degfrag I noticed the decrease in memory only because I had just ran it not too long ago. I was looking because I would get this notice if I hadnt rebooted my pc weeks sometimes or had be doing a lot things but now Im getting after just loading a few pages.

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am sorry but I dont know what you mean by task manager. Where do you find that at?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Please open task manager (Ctrl+alt+delete)

Cheers.

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh that thing, Im sorry. It says I have 47 processes running and cpu usage keeps changing from 5 percent to 21 percent

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you have many programs that run when you startup your machine like AOL, Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger etc..?

Too many programs on startup can take up lots of memory.

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yep, I do. I have Yahoo and Msn Messengers and Window Washer that come on automatically when I restart. But I have had these for years and never had a problem with them until now. Oh wait and Zone Alarm Pro too. Those are the only ones I am aware of.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Please do: Start>run>msconfig>click the startup tab on the right.

Uncheck the boxes for programs you don't need on startup.

eternal_camnation

eternal_camnation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
You can laugh but dont get mad plzzzzzz......... I only know what 3 of the 47 are ......... it has stuff like digstream, zlclient, E_SOHIC1,Ds Agent, ww Disp, Adobe Reader spe, and a lot more. How do I know if I need these or not

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I will never get mad at someone here. Everybody started from zero here. :blink:

To find out what programs you should keep in startup or not, just google each program name and find out wether it's important for your machine or not.

Good luck :whistling: .

Emery.