Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory could not be read

• Please log in to reply

simz

simz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Good afternoon

We have a message on our server:

The instruction at "0x0171d694" referenced memory at "0x01168000". The memory could not be "read".

Does anyone know what this means? It's an HP ML350 server with Windows 2003 OS installed.

Many Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
most of the time this is a poorly written program, bho, etc, usually something running at startup, rather than a harware issue

Disable anything non-essential running at startup, see if the issue repeats, then re-eanable things one at a time until the problem recurs.

If the problem recurs once all non-essential things are disabled, fous on drivers

simz

simz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I didn't try the solution as one of our IT engineers said its not a problem. He said that as applications are run they are stored on the memory for quicker access to them. On this particular case it could not be found in the memory and therefore the error message appeared. It had to find the application again from the hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Uhm, well, that is not exactly correct (that it hit the harddrive for the program after failing to find it in memory)...it (a process) really just stopped.

It is not the biggest issue in the world, in that a lot of programs are poorly written, but it is often a sign that something you do not want on your system is there (malware, perhaps, or a program that needs updating).

I don't want to pooh-pooh your IT engineers, but if it were me, I'd at least look for evidence of malware.