Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Network Cards

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have a home network behind 1 Linksys router sharing the Internet. I have a business router using a 2nd internet connection. I want to connect both to 1 pc so I can use the business router for internet access, (on this PC only) and the home router for access to my other PCs. I know I must have 2 NICs but this is where I lose it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That is not possible. You computer and\or router can only use on Gateway IP address at a time. There is a way have have both connection available to your computer thought.
Connect your router to your home connection, and both computers to the router. Setup your NIC in the "Network Connection" in "Control Panel".
Once everything is configured unplug your Work computer and connect it to your Work Modem. You can either run without a router or pickup a cheap $20 one on the internet. Go to Start> Accessories> Communications> Network Connection> (left frame) Create new Connection. Setup your NIC to connect with the second modem.
The down side to this is you will have to swap wires. You can setup a second NIC but it can be tricky. It may setup without a problem or it may never configure. Either way you will have to enter the Network Connection pane and enable\disable the appropriate NIC to switch between modems.
It is not hard it is just not automatic.

http://justdeals.sto...t/wgr614na.html

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
OK, thanks alot