Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Simple Communications Device

• Please log in to reply

Teesside Tim

Teesside Tim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
to be clear, I am removing the c media stuff from the device manager, then re-installing the realtek drivers you recommended in safe mode. :whistling: PS After uninstalling it and rebotting in safe mode, the machine detect new hardware - c media AC97 audio device - is that the conflict ?

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
My 2 cents,usually the PCI Simple Communications Device that's missing drivers (half/full duplex) is the v90 modem not the sound card.
That's why it keeps refusing audio drivers

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Harold, am aware of that...the pci simple device is a secondary problem. We are working on the audio problem at the moment.

Whoever installed this audio device installed the wrong drivers for the audio device. The motherboard comes with realtek ac97 chipset and he installed the cmedia ac97 drivers.

Once windows thinks that the cmedia is the proper driver, it refuses other drivers.

Tim, yes, that is the conflict. In safe mode, it reinstalled the cmedia?

Fine, then remove the cmedia device again in device manager, and install the downloaded realtek drivers. Windows will complain it is the wrong device...install anyway.

If that does not work, we'll try another force

Teesside Tim

Teesside Tim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
seems to be getting there, it has stopped looking for c media and is looking for realtek, but it sticks at a part looking for "ALCXWDM.SYS on Realtek AC97 Audio driver disk needed"

Teesside Tim

Teesside Tim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
managed to locate the previous file - and a few others it couldn't find, except the last one - audio3d.dll, which I cant locate on the files I have downloaded or elsewhere on the PC. I now have the realtek device listed as a sound device but still have no sound :whistling:

Teesside Tim

Teesside Tim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
now managed to locate and instll audio3d.dll in system32/drivers. Dont knwo if that's the right place - still no sound - pity I cant turn the kids off like this ...