Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wow/internet problem

• Please log in to reply

joei

joei

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

My internet in general works fine, I connect to an access point with a network adaptor and its all good. Unless, I try to play World of Warcraft. I can log in fine and everythnig loads up but after a few minutes the internet suddenly disconnects for around ten seconds which of course disconnects me from the game. I have been at my wit's end trying to solve this problem so any help is much appreciated. According to the software that runs the network adaptor i have a signal strength of around 40% and link quality of about 80%. Basically I think the problem is in either the network adaptor or that the signal is too weak. I can solve both these problems(I think) by buying either a new network adaptor or a booster for the access point but not sure which. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Joe

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
This could be the issue, however, let me ask... Are all of the necessary ports which need ot be open, allowed on your router? Most routers block all of the ports, and so sometimes we need to open some of these ports to play games and such. My question is if you have opened these ports.

joei

joei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure. As far as I know, the router has not been changed since we got it. Could I ask how you open the ports and is it possible to do it remotely from my computer? Also, I can actually play the game but for only minutes at a time if that helps.

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Im not too sure about remotely if you mean from another computer like.. away from yours... But to do it from your computer you should be able to open Internet explorer, type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. Depending on the type of router you have, that should bring up a box asking for username/password. Enter that stuff in (I think the default is like Administrator/admin or maybe admin/blank). Now I use a Linksys router, so what I'm saying is for it. But it should be about the same for any. Go to the ADVANCED tab and it should open another row in place of the other tabs. Then go to FORWARDING. Under this tab you want to go to the first set of boxes and put a name... Then put 3724 in the next 2 boxes, to open that port. (thats the one i have open for WoW) fill in the ending 3 digits of your ip. and hit enable. To find your ip go to START>RUN>cmd then type ipconfig and it'll be there. Most likely its 101.