Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking two XP Computers

• Please log in to reply

maximumbandit

maximumbandit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to network my two computers, both running XP together. I just want to transfer a bunch of files from computer A to computer B.

Computer A is a standard gateway m360x, and computer B is a standard dell demension 4550. They're both connected via ethernet to a linksys box, which is connected to the cable modem they share. So far, all is well.

I've run the Windows XP wizard on both of them seperatley. I get though that and then it puts the icon on my desktop but I think that the network isn't up after that. When I try to connect to it, from the computer I've set it up on, it doesn't do anything.

I tried using the same wizard to connect to it from the second computer, and it comes up with "Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection." This prompted me to turn the firewall off on both computers (though I didn't turn off my Network associates on either of them.)

This is as far as I have gotten on my many attempts with both computers. I'm not sure what to do, please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
moving this to the networking forums, instead of comments and suggestions. You'll get more help there. :whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi maximumbandit,

I don't understand why you're receiving a VPN error if you're simply trying to configure your computers for Simple File Sharing via a router. I'd highly recommend that you follow SpaceCowboy's Networking Tutorial -- it details how to setup wired network -- see: Wired Home Network Physical Setup -- once you have followed these steps and have both computers connected to the Network and the Internet, you should then proceed to follow the instructions at File and Print Share Setup. Once you have done these steps, you should be setup to share files between the two computers.

Please post back once you have done all of this, or if you have any questions.