Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will a fried MB crash a HD?

• Please log in to reply

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Looks like I will have a buy a new rig now that my setup has been fried after 3 years.

My question is related to seeing that my MB or CPU fried out (can't tell which one for sure) and am looking to peice together the new equipment. After 3 years its time to upgrade anyways.

My concern is what else has also been destroyed. Will any hardrives that are attached to a motherboard that crashed be rendered disabled?? Video Cards? Sound Cards? I do not want to have to purchase unneccesary equipment, especially if I have two perfectly fine working large drives (as I had connected).

The problem that I have is that I can't test these other devices out since I do not have access to another Desktop pc to throw these into to check.

Any info would be appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It would depend on the underlying reason for the motherboard failure. Did a lightning strike take out the system? Did it just quietly die? Component swapping is going to be the only way to tell for sure. Unless some catastrophic event took out the motherboard, there is no reason to suspect the hard drive got fried too. However, you will not really know what the status of the hard drive is until you put it into a known good working system. The same thing would apply to the other components.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks- The PC was on a decent surge, and just seemed to die out. It just stopped booting up. I was initially getting a kbd error upon boot, now it will not even turn on. (I tried a bunch of things outlined in a different post - resetting cmos, a new psu, etc, and its just not coming back t life.). With this in mind I would think the hardrives are good, but I can't say the same on the video card or sound card....

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My old PC stopped working a few years back for unknown reasons. It wouldn't boot up or anything. I figured that it was the mobo or processor that was causing failure. It wasn't really worth fixing so I just put all the spare parts into other computers. I sold the RAM and video card. Then I re-used the HDD in my current system. Everything still worked fine. The CD/DVD drives are still good too, but I have no use for them right now.