Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mandatory Desktops on Domain with XP

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a new user login that I want to have the same desktop all the time. I set the desktop as I wanted it, and copied it to my server. In AD Users I set the profile path to the correct location of the profile. From there I changed the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man.

After that I went to another machine and logged in as the new user with the mandatory profile. But instead of giving me the desktop with the empty start menu and 3 icons on the desktop like it should, it gave me everything the other user on the computer had.

I need to be able to have two logins on these computers. One that has access to everything, and one that is restricted with the profile. I dont want the restricted account to see everything the other user has installed.

I have looked at group policy but that seems to take options away from everyone on the computer. Not very helpful. I dont know if this makes sense to anyone but some help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
If you load the mandatory profile on any PC, make some changes, log off and then logon again, are those changes still there?
If not, then your mandatory profile works and sth went wrong when configuring the mandatory profile.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No the changes are not there. It clears them like it should. Here is my question. If you make a mandatory profile on Computer A with a shortcut to MS Word on the desktop.

Then you log into Computer B with the mandatory profile. You should not see shortcuts for everything on that computer, just Word, is that correct?

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
normaly, if the mandatory profile is configured with only a shortcut to Word on the desktop, you should see that shortcut everytime you log on with that profile (no matter what PC - in the domain)
So, Yes, you are correct

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what you want is a roaming profile for this user

see if this makes sense

http://technet2.micr...3.mspx?mfr=true

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
That sheet from Microsoft. was something I already read through. My question is still, it doesnt save the changes like it should, but no matter what computer I log onto with the roaming profile it gives me all of the icons on the desktop that the normal user has. I am not understanding what the problem is. I want to take a snapshot of a desktop and make sure that user gets it everytime it logs on to every computer in the company.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect these are coming from the ALL USER group on the local machine....I would use group policy to create a startup script for that one user to delete the icons from the restricted user's desktop at login