Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new pc

• Please log in to reply

thekingofconvenience

thekingofconvenience

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm just about ready to dish out the money to put together my first computer and was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think. Any suggestions for other parts that might be better would be great, but i must try and keep it under or around the $1,400 mark

~SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L/BEBN - OEM

~Sunbeam TRIO IC-TRIO-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

~NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM

~Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

~ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

~BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX OC Overclocked 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

~OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K - Retail

~AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

I just wont to make sure i'm not making any first timer mistakes

Advertisements

knit3x

knit3x

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Looks actually pretty nice to me and should be under 1200 atleast around here.

thekingofconvenience

thekingofconvenience

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the reply I've spent the last 3 months or so looking into putting together my own pc, right now i have an old dell inspiron 2500 please no laughing but there is just so many things to choose from it can be overwhelming at times . what do you guys/girls think about staying with the case power supply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

thanks for the reply I've spent the last 3 months or so looking into putting together my own pc, right now i have an old dell inspiron 2500 please no laughing but there is just so many things to choose from it can be overwhelming at times . what do you guys/girls think about staying with the case power supply

Yea, I really know what you mean. Right now i'm using a... umm.. strange custom like $200 computer. It looks like [bleep] but works quite well... for the last 2 years. Now I really want to get into gaming and such so I have been waiting like 4 months to do a ton of research and have finally put together a final conclusion of what I want.

Look below to see!

thekingofconvenience

thekingofconvenience

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
even though the work needed to start putting together a system for the first time is a lot I'm realy having fun doing the research and have learnt a lot i can't wait to get it all together. by the way zestron that case you have as your aviator is one i just helped my landlord put his old computer into it's a really nice case looks cool and has a really sturdy construction for the price

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

and has a really sturdy construction for the price

Oh shizzle. I forgot about how sturdy it's build. Should be good.
The things I dont understand yet is G's in processors. Like, mine is 2.4, but will it still be ok. And I don't know why, but MysteryByte doesn't stock AMD Athlon's in the 2.7+
Also, all the numbers and letters in the motherboard and stuff.

Edited by zestron, 11 July 2006 - 06:34 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you want to get a great computer without worrying about whether or not it will all be compatable, use a website like CyberPowerPC or iBuyPower. It's much like Alienware in terms of the customization but without an inflated name brand price.

I got the computer you see in my sig for about $1100 (not including a monitor, which I bought previously [like 6 months before my computer] for about $400).

It's a great value and they like....quadruple check to make sure it all works. I like getting someone who knows what they're doing to build the base, then I can upgrade on my on. Just a personal preference.

thekingofconvenience

thekingofconvenience

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i thought about that but I'm looking into getting my A+ and would like the hands on method plus i think it's fun, but other wise i would just buy one

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm just about ready to dish out the money to put together my first computer and was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think. Any suggestions for other parts that might be better would be great, but i must try and keep it under or around the $1,400 mark

~SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L/BEBN - OEM

~NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM

~Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I just wont to make sure i'm not making any first timer mistakes

I would like to see you swap out the OEM with Retails, OEM can get a little hectic when you just dont know whose putting there hand in the cookie jar...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello everyone,
Just wanted to add something, if you can hold off you should prices will be dropping soon with Conroe coming out (intel next gen prossessor family) and AMD is making thier own new processor, not going to be much better. Vista is coming out in the Q1 of 2007 along with 4x core processors and can't remember what but either Nvida or ATI is coming out with thier next gen graphiques cards within the next 2 months.
that being said unless you really need a computer right away hold off a bit, and you could save a bundle.
Also, many power supplies that come with the cases are crap with a capital "C", you might want to watch out here and make sure that the voltage that this gives, is well over what you'll need. Because in many cases they don't pump out as much as they are advertised to, kinda like what our ISP do.....
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 July 2006 - 01:08 PM.

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
So what people have been saying is that when the Conroe and new stuff comes out, the older prices will drop? If so, I hope mysterybyte will.. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm talking the last generation computer parts do, computers built by company don't always follow suit. Usually it takes longer.....
James