Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Problem (SERIOUS)

• Please log in to reply

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Whenever i start my laptop i get the message

"This application has failed to start because BROWSEUI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

My laptop will not work at all. All that happens is windows starts normally then goes to the welcome screen. Then i get this message. At which point when i click OK it takes me to my desktop walpaper. I can't do anything at that point.

Now earlier (about three months ago) my computer would freeze up when it got to the welcome screen. I turned it off and on and off and every time it would freeze. So i went into the setup screen at startup (you know f10 command) i disabled my bluetooth and WLAN. and i didn't have any more problems except that i didnt have the internet (due to have WLAN disabled). So I put up with not have wireless internet for 2 months then i decided to reinstall all the drivers (with the drivers disk that came with my laptop) to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. So i did a system restore back to the earliest restore point (april 10th i believe) last night. Now when i get into my laptop I get the above message and I can't use my Laptop for anything.

P.S.- My laptop is an hp speical edition L2000. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you start the laptop in safe mode? do you still get the same message?

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
f9 right? how do you start it in safe mode?

Edited by CHAOSKILLER, 11 July 2006 - 03:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
f8
also...while we're both here.....do you have your os disks? (what os is installed?)

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I still have the disks and im operating on windows xp

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
When in safe mode i Still get the message

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"THE" disks? are they actual xp disks or hp recovery disks? (either of which shock me from HP)

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hp recovery disks although one has Xp

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I think this is what you are talking about

"Operating System CD"

that it?

Edited by CHAOSKILLER, 11 July 2006 - 03:09 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
grr...you've got a corrupt system file...
this file could be replaced by doing a destructive recovery (which those recovery disks will do very well)...but that will remove all your programs and files...
i'm not sure about the HP recovery disks as far as if they have a non-destructive (or repair) recovery...that would just rebuild windows...you might try booting to the recovery disk and see if it gives you an option to repair (if you see destructive recovery....don't do that)

do you have access to an xp disk of the same kind that's installed on y our sytem? (i.e. xp pro, or xp home...sp1 or sp2)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you disable the same things that you disabled before in setup...can you boot into windows?

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

if you disable the same things that you disabled before in setup...can you boot into windows?

no i cant

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

grr...you've got a corrupt system file...
this file could be replaced by doing a destructive recovery (which those recovery disks will do very well)...but that will remove all your programs and files...
i'm not sure about the HP recovery disks as far as if they have a non-destructive (or repair) recovery...that would just rebuild windows...you might try booting to the recovery disk and see if it gives you an option to repair (if you see destructive recovery....don't do that)

do you have access to an xp disk of the same kind that's installed on y our sytem? (i.e. xp pro, or xp home...sp1 or sp2)

okay could you explain this in minute detail im not computer saavy so i don't really understand you

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
now if what your saying requires me to log into my desktop and use that cd that way then it wont work. because all i get is my desktop backround no icons or taskbar or anything.

Edited by CHAOSKILLER, 11 July 2006 - 03:25 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to the os recovery disk and see if there is an option for repair or reinstall without loosing data