Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead, talking computer

• Please log in to reply

gjw24

gjw24

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having an issue today with my computer. Yesterday I believe it overheated and now something is not right. This morning I got it to start up completely and was hoping by letting it cool off it would be fine, like always that is not the case. It froze so I restarted and it came up again. Then it froze for a second time and when I restarted it this time it would not come up.

There is no signal going to the monitor, and I have the albatron PX845G pro II motherboard so instead of giving me error code beeps it is supposed to talk in a nice female voice but I cannot understand what it is saying.

I've taken everything apart and put it back together and it did not help. I have taken one thing out at a time and nothing has working.

I have two video cards and both are not working. I have three different sticks of ram and trying each one, one at a time in each of the three slots has not made a difference.

Is there anything anyone can help me with? Is there a way to figure out my the motherboard is trying to say to me that i cannot understand?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Try removing all PCI and graphics cards so you are trying to start up a barebones system. Your onboard graphics should provide a signal to the monitor.

If you're not having any luck with this then the problem will be one of PSU (unlikely as it is powering up) , Motherboard, CPU. It sounds like you may have cooked your CPUor something similar.

Are there any fans that don't start up when you power on?

Stick your nose in there - anything smell burnt (hi tech stuff, I know).

Sorry if this is all obvious. The overheating must have been caused by something - usually a fan failure.

gjw24

gjw24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well there wasn't anything bunrt inside. Like you I was down to the cpu or motherboard.

After I had posted this I remember that i've had a similar problem before and it was caused by the short circuit on the motherboard.

I've replaced the motherboard and lukily I was right and everything is working smoothly again.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Nice work and thanks for lettting us know the outcome.