Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"MyComputer" icon will hang from time to time

• Please log in to reply

SOS44

SOS44

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sometime while using the computer and attempting to access the "MyComputer" icon, the system will hang. Display is empty. Must use TaskManager and kill the process.

If you reboot the system (windows98SE) everything comes back. You can use the Floppy or CD device, again. Then after an undetermine amount of time (15 mins, 1/2 hour or even sometimes upto 4 hours) it hangs again and the Icon is un-useable.

I have eliminated all possible viruses and adware processes that I know of. Still no luck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Sean.

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
blimey, that's an odd one - new to me

First off - check to see that everything on system is good - have you relied on the drivers installed by Windows 98SE when installing it? Might be an idea to look at your system components and go to the individual vendor web sites to see about getting current drivers - also check out your pc vendors website if it's a branded box.

Meantime - right-click my computer (assuming that works), click on Properties and then Device Manager.

go the long way round if you like, start -- settings -- control panel -- system -- device manager.

any probs here? Look for devices with either exclamation marks or question marks next to them. Any red crosses - that means it's disabled.

Vague, but it's a starting point - thought something would be good as you've had no response to date.

Also, if it is a badged pc - you may have the 98 installation disc that came with the pc? Better to use this, than any other.

Sometimes blips can even be down to driver support for chipsets on the motherboard, not just major components like hard drive, video card etc..

daveB - LinuxWannabee :tazz:

SOS44

SOS44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks DaveB

will try this out and let you know.

appreciate the reply. More of a mainframe user (older systems).

Don't work on PC's much.

Cheers!

Sean.