Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem shutting down computer

• Please log in to reply

alfletch

alfletch

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi i have a gateway PC and it has windows ME installed on it. Pretty much everytime i go to shut it down, the computer ends up going to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the corner and ends up staying like that and i have to end up holding down the power button until it turns off. I'm afraid to keep doing this because it might end up hurting the computer. if you could help me out that would be really great
Thanks,
Angela

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi alfletch...

There are quite a few things that can cause this, try the following first.

In Control Panel, double-click "Sounds" (or Sounds & Multimedia). In the "Events" box, click "Exit Windows". In the Name box, click None, and click "Ok". Test Windows shutdown. If Windows does not hang, the problem may be a corrupt sound file. Restore the file from your Windows disk or from wherever you obtained it, then try to shut Windows down again.

wannabe1

alfletch

alfletch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i tested the windows shutdown after going into the sounds/multimedia on the control panel and windows did shut down properly. However i don't know how to fix it from there. will i have to do this everytime i want to shut down the computer? i don't have the original windows disk to restore this sound file, is there another way?
Thanks,
Angela

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It was a corrupt sound file that was hanging the machine at shut down. You can leave it just as it is unless you like to have a sound play when you shut down the machine. You shouldn't have to make the change each time.

If you really, really, really want the sound at shutdown, I'll see if I can round up the file for you.

alfletch

alfletch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No i really dont need the sound it's ok. thanks so much for responding so quickly and fixing the problem i really appreciate it!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :whistling: