Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM questions

• Please log in to reply

Stripes

Stripes

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I told my friend recently that I'm thinking of getting a stick of RAM for my computer. When I bought it, it came with a 256 MB stick. I've decided I want to get a 1GB stick, and he told me A) my computer might not be able to use the whole GB as it was meant to be used, and B) that I need to check something with pins or something like that. I'm getting a computer with Vista whenever those come out, and am planning on carrying the RAM over to that, so "A" is kind of a non-issue, I assume, yes?

About the pins. I'm not sure what I need to check before I buy more RAM. I've taken the memory stick out of the computer and written down all of the information that was written on it, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, or what I should be aware of. What do I need to know before I buy this RAM for my computer?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Go to www.crucial.com and use the crucial system scanner. This should tell you exactly what RAM you need and how much your maximum is for your motherboard. Easy eh?

Digikiwi

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
1GB
Part Number CT524237
DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

It says my machine can handle 2 GB. I'm not sure what this means, but if I show it to somebody at Best Buy they'll know what to look for?

If this is okay for my computer, then what do I need to consider now in a year's time when when I get a new computer? Do I need to check to make sure the computer is compatable with the RAM, or can newer computers usually handle older RAM?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
The RAM your computer uses is not exactly state of the art. Chances are pretty slim that it will work in a new computer, unless you've been duped into an old machine. In other words, technology has moved on and it won't be compatible.

I'd suggest buying one 512MB stick of RAM, or 1 GB if you want to spend the dough. It depends on how many slots are available on your motherboard (crucial tells you this). If you have 3 or 4 slots then buy a 512 and if it's not enough, buy another. If you only have two slots you need to decide at the start, coz you'll need to remove the original 256MB card to insert another 512MB.

What do you use your computer for. Big RAM is required for video/audio/image processing and most games. Surfing the internet and using MS Office doesn't need so much for most uses.

If you increase RAM now think of your current computer as having higher resale value when you dispose of it. :whistling: .

Digikiwi

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've got 2 slots, and one of them has the 256 MB card. The other is empty. I want more RAM for games. Or really I *need* more. It's all too choppy. I'll at least get a 512 card. An extra $60 or whatever isn't the most horrible thing ever. I'll think about it, and you can tell me what you think.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Adding one 512MB will give you 768MB. Now if you decide that, having tried , it you really need more RAM then if you buy any other stick you'll have to minus 256 MB off it because that's what you'll be removing to make room for the second 512MB stick (or 1GB). Hence I'd suggest 2 things.

1) think carefully about how much RAM you'll need and how much (not little) you can afford to spend.

2) Try and find a supplier that would let you return your 512MB stick to upgrade to a bigger size. This dealer may be difficult to find but try local computer shops. ASK before you buy.

If you know anyone with a 512MB RAM stick in their computer that will work in yours, AND they are willing to let you borrow it, add it and testdrive your computer with it before buying anyting.

Digikiwi