Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible xp os error

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hello,

I have a problem that coachwife6 was helping me with and asked me to make a post in this forum instead. She has cleared me of malware. Can you please look at this when you can.

Mahalo! :whistling:

(here is the link to my post)

http://www.geekstogo...33-t120148.html

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You ran a system file check, tune up, XP repair and nothing improved?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi Keith,

The only thing I did not do is a xp repair. I was not sure if I needed to wait for an affirmative to proceed. And if so, could you please re-post the exact instructions?

As far as improvement, there is none. I am afraid to turn off this laptop. If I do, it reboots and gives those error messages. Even the download speed is crawling. But I do have the OS disc from HP when I got this laptop. I tried explaining this to HP support and all they say that it is a virus and I HAVE to to a complete reinstall. (sigh)

So that is my dilema.. I will await your specific instructions. Thanks for all your help and concern.

Heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
These are the repair instructions, though it will depend on the type of disc you have from HP. If it does not go exactly as the procedure illustrates, cancel it and post back

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Looking ahead, are you able to back up your data

Have you got access for all installation sources for any programmes you want to run

Is there a recovery partition, drive D in my computer named HP Owner

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi Keith,

I did the xp repair install. Wow, that took a while, but I waited for it to finish. I also followed the instructions about the xp firewall before anything else, then I installed ms update. I have all my data still intact after the repair. It seems to be running a lot faster, just on the first reboot, and with no error messages. And I don't know what you mean about the drive D, recovery partition in My Computer.

However, the real test is when I shut it off and don't restart it for at least half hour. So I will do that right now. I still appreciate all you have done so far. Seems like it might be cured. (crossing fingers and toes)

Will get back to you soon.

Heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

I turned it off for a half hour and it did something really weird. When I turned it on, it went to the Microsoft screen with the blue thing going back and forth (like it normally does), but after that, it went completely to a BLACK screen, with just the cursor in the middle of the monitor. It is not blinking, just the pointer stationary.

It didn't do anything for a while, so I held the power button to turn it off. I restarted it, same thing. I waited about 90 minutes, and the third try got me to a screen which gave me a few choices, so I chose "start windows normally".

It tried to boot up, but went to a stop error screen: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
And on the bottom of this screen, it is doing a dump of physical memory. It is also counting upwards, one number at a time. I am using another laptop to write this. I will await your reply.

Heens

edited at 11:22am

Keith,

After it counted to a 100 (I think), it rebooted on it's own. It went to the Microsoft screen, then to another stop error screen, except it says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It is also dumping again to disk.

Heens

Edited by HEENS, 12 July 2006 - 03:32 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let it finish what it is doing now

Wne you boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, see how it reacts

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

After it finished counting, I got into safe mode. It took a while to get into safe mode (I never did this before) but now it is at a user name screen (one I never see).

I will wait before I hit the next key or function.

Heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
administrator account

If this loads OK

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

run disc clean up, reboot to see what it does

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

I did what you said, and on reboot, it delayed for about 5-7 seconds on the completely black screen...but then it booted up normally. I have noticed that once it boots up completely, it has been okay until I shut it off for at least a half an hour. So since June 6th, I may have turned this completely off no more than 4 times. It is 12:06 pm here and I work at 12:30pm. Should I just leave this thing on for now, until I get back home or should I turn it off to see if it goes bad again?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this mess. I will await your response.

Heens

Advertisements

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently had a client of mine with the same error.

After investigating the issue online, I found that these errors may be caused by disk errors.

Try this.

If you can't start windows normally, start in safe mode. (press F8 as the system starts, select safe mode from the menu that apears, then hit enter on the following screen. Select Administrator from the log in screen. After windows starts a message will appear that says you are running in safe mode. Click yes.)

open Start>Run
Type in the following with out quotes and include spaces, "chkdsk /f /r"
A cmd prompt should appear (black window with white text)
Type Y and then press the enter key.
Restart your computer.
Wait for the scan to finish and the desktop to appear.
Just as a percaution restart your computer one more time. There is no need to run the chkdsk utility this time around. (sometimes I find that it fixes a few more problems after the first timeyou restart and may do so on consecutive restarts for a while after)

I had my client follow these steps and asked her to call me back if there were anymore problems. She is a loyal customer and will only call me to solve her computing problems. Needless to say, she hasn't called back since yesterday.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Turn it off, then we can see what it does, if you leave it on, it doesn't tell us much

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks Keith. I will do that and look forward to chatting with you later with the results.

Aloha!!

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
One more thing I forgot to add. It may also be time to back up all of your files on your hard drive.
Your hard drive may be failing as they do after being used for a few years. Think about purchasing a new drive to replace the one you currently have. You have been warned.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Randy

As I understand it, check disk has already been run

Keith