Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible xp os error

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

thanks for your post and your help. to be honest, i cannot remember if i created that or not. i am quite sure i followed the instructions out of the box. but now, i am not sure if that was part of the instructions. and i am looking for that box and cannot find what HP sent me.

is there a way to tell? (other than relying on my memory?)

sorry and thanks

Heens

ps...as far as the last item on your post, do you mean if i can boot into safe mode, now, WITHOUT the created recovery cd, or just bein gable to get into safe mode in general?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You would probably remember creating the set, so let's work on the assumption you didn't and that we have that option available if we can get the machine running...

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup. If you get a boot priority screen, press Esc and continue tapping the F8 key.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
sorry wannabe1,

after the 10 tries earlier today, i have the laptop running and have full use of it. the problem will occur when i shut it off for more than 10-20 minutes. that is when i get all these stop errors.

so i can do anything righ tnow with the machine. i hope you understand what i mean.

heens

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

I'm trying to catch up with all the ground you and Keith have covered...I apologize in advance if I ask you things you've already done... :whistling:

Open Control Panel and double click on the Power Options icon...Click on the APM tab. Is APM (Advanced Power Management) support enabled?

Do you have a few CD-R cd's?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
there is no tab called apm in the power option icon. and i have only 2 cd-r's and 1 cd-rw.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If we can create this recovery set, we can use it to repair the OS. It will tell you how many disks it will take at the beginning of the procedure, so let's check.

Click Start, point to All Programs, then to System Recovery, and click on PC Recovery Disc Creator. The PC Recovery Disc Creator tool should open. Click "Next".

Select the type of disc you want to use and click Next...in this case, select CD-R. The machine will check the system and tell you how many disks you will need. Do you have enough?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 July 2006 - 04:54 PM.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i cannot believe this. i don't think i am blind, but i cannot find system recovery in "all programs". (but i am still very patient, as per your rules..lol)

sorry wannabe1

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
and FYI, i do have 2 discs that came with the laptop from HP. one is called Operating System CD, and the other is Application and Driver Recovery DVD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't have an HP machine in front of me at the moment.... :whistling:

Open Help and Support from the Start menu, click on index at the top of the Help window, and type PC Recovery Disc Creator in the "Keyword" field. Does search find it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Put the OS cd in the drive and restart...does it boot to the cd? DO NOT let it start a recovery operation...if it tries to do that, cancel out.

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i am using my back up laptop so i can be logged on and do things to the HP.

Okay, i put the cd in, and when i restarted it, the first thing it said was press any key to load from cd.

I didn't press anything and will wait for your reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press a key to boot to the cd.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok..done that

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
it is loading files (top of the screen says Windows Setup)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to the screen that says press F6 to install SCSI drivers, press F5. This will install the ACPI support...

Edited by wannabe1, 17 July 2006 - 05:26 PM.