Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible xp os error

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi again,
i am trying to follow the instructions and after pressing any key,then f5, it came to a window that says "set up could not determine the type of computer you have, or you have chosen to manually specify the computer type."

It gives me two choices---Standard PC with C-Step i486 or Other

What do I do?

BTW, after the pressing of F5, there was a prompt to press F2 if you want to run ASR. I didn't press anything and this is the screen I am looking at now, the one with the two choices.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's more than to choices, it defaults to the bottom two for some reason...

Use the arrow keys to select " Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" and move on with the repair.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

it just finished and with the xp firewall turned on, do i go to windows update as the next step?

thank you so much

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...and get an Anti-virus application installed as the step after that!

Does the machine seem to be running a bit better?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
it's hard to say. i can usually tell after leaving it off for ten minutes, but i won't do that yet. i will continue following the steps outlined. will get back to you, and again...thanks

heens

Edited by HEENS, 18 July 2006 - 01:01 PM.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hello wannabe1,

i just finished the critical updates and was about to do the 4 optional updates when something caught my eye. in post #46, i was told to install catalyst 5.7 and cat uninstaller,as well as omega ati 6.5 driver. one of the optional updates deals with the radeon ati 200 series. do i install this optional update? and do i have to repeat the items in post #46?

i also did a winsockxpfix in post #48. shall i re-do that as well?

shall i post the everest log for you?

thanks man.....

ALOHA!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just install all the updates...including the optionals. You shouldn't need to run or install any of the things in the other posts...at least not unless we run into a problem.

Take a look in Device Manager...any yellow ? or ! displayed?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
no errors in the device manager. i will do the optionals, and see what happens when i reboot after it being off for 20 minutes. wish me luck!!

thanks man....

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

i turned it on after 20 minutes and on the first attempt to start up, it went to a stop error page which flashed the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL text and before I could read any more, it rebooted on it's own. it completely rebooted and i have not touched a key (until i hear from you).

it does look like it is operating normally, mcafee is running, internet connected. i am still typing all of this via my other laptop.

HEENS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's get an error code.\

Open Control Panel and double click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" button in the Startup and Recovery section. Untick the box next to "Automatically restart", "Apply" the change and reboot.

The next BSOD will stay up...get me the error and the numbers associated with it.

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
the error is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The technical information on the bottom reads:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000001c, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80520ce7)

Is this the correct info?

I also have to leave the house, so can I leave it on the error page and if not, what is the proper way to exit the error screen please.

Mahalo....

Edited by HEENS, 18 July 2006 - 06:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Shut the machine down by holding the power button in until it shuts down. That's a different error than you had before...or at least it appears to be. This one points to RAM. I'll look into it a little while you are out.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

i got it turned off the way you said to. And FYI, in my original contact with coachwife6, (in post #7), i did get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error screen. i even wrote down the tech numbers i gave you and they are exactly the same. i don't know if that helps you any.

will wait for you to reply...

heens

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay, HEENS...I got called out of town unexpectedly.

I, too went back over your topic with Coachwife6 and saw you had that error at that time. I think the next thing we'd better look at is getting a WinAudit report. Download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report in "Formatted Text" format and send it to me vial e-mail...I will PM you the address.

Give me a bit to go over the report and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of this memory error.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

glad to hear from you again. before i do the winaudit, i just need to know how you want me to restart my laptop (i never turned it back on, in case you needed a certain way to get it back on to save any info)

the way i have been doing it was to get it into safe mode, remove the files in prefetch, do the disc clean up, and reboot. if that is okay, great. i will wait for your responsebefore i continue.

heens