Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Best Card?

• Please log in to reply

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hey, I was just wondering, what is the best videocard, that I could buy for around.. lets say 200$ canadian?
thanks.

Advertisements

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
PCI-E or AGP?

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
You know what, To tell you the truth, I don't know what those are. What exactly are they?
thanks.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Here's wikipedia that will help describe them, and more imprtantly has pictures so if you want to open your case you can easily tell which one you have:

http://en.wikipedia....d_Graphics_Port

http://en.wikipedia....iki/PCI_Express

AGP has been around a long time and could easily be identified by how much more pushed in the slot is compared to the PCI slots. PCI-E come in a few different flavors, x16 is the biggest slot and is what video cards primarily use.

AGP cards have a more limited selection because they're being phased out, and are also more expensive than comparable PCI-E cards partly because the cards tend to be native to PCI-E but have a costy chip that converts them to be able to use AGP instead. Also manufacturers have just stopped making so many and focused their funds on PCI-E which will undoubtedly be around much longer, so because of supply dropping faster than demand, prices went up.

If a system has neither, they will have to either use integrated video or PCI (not express) video card. There are no good PCI cards, or at least ones you would want to buy.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easy way download CPU-Z run it and read through the info on one of the tabs youll find a field called graphical interface itll tell you what you have.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
okay, I got the program, now where do I find it? what tab is it under?

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Like warrior said, look for the graphical interface field.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ohhhhh, Okay, I found it. It Is "PCI-Express"

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats lucky you got your pick you woulda been out of luck had it been AGP, safest bet is probably something like a 7600GT or x1600pro.

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
You can pickup a HIS Radeon X1600 XT 256mb @ Tigerdirect.ca for $168 canadian or you can get the X1600 Pro for $119 or if you want a little more power then the XT you can get the X800 XL for $180.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Wow. Thanks :whistling: If I went with the ATI X800 XL, How well would it allow to play the game ElderScrolls IV: Oblivion, Do you think? :blink:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
It depends on the rest of your systems specs. It's not just your video card that does the work.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

.Ù.Oliver_P.Ù.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHZ (2 CPUs)
1 GB+ RAM
Is that good?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Those aren't your complete system specs but the specs you listed look good to me. My windows machine is about half of your machine. :whistling:

Edited by emery, 15 July 2006 - 12:51 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Itll play it pretty fine although i would have got the x1600 its the better card.