Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office Install Error

• Please log in to reply

thoot12

thoot12

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
When installing Office 2003 Pro. on an Windows XP Pro during the install I get the following:

Error 1402 setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES \ SOFTWARE \ CLASSES \ XMLFILE \ DEFAULT ICON Vereify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your information technology department for assistance.

Then it uninstalls itself... :whistling:

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Trey Hooton

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you logged in as an administrator? (better yet THE administrator?)

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes I am. I Found this info on Microsoft web site, have not tried it yet...

http://support.micro...kb/838687/en-us

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd say give those a try...i'd actually start with #3 if i were you as it's the least intrussive (they mean safe mode when they say "clean boot state")

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just tried #3 and get:
The windows installer service could not be accessed, this can occure if you are running windows in safe mode....bla....bla....bla....

Thinking of tring #1....

Edited by thoot12, 13 July 2006 - 10:13 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmmm....let's try something slightly different...

do start > run > msconfig > on the "general" tab untick the box next to "load startup items" press apply and restart...you'll get a message about being in selective startup mode when you log back in...just tell that ok and try to install office...if it's a no go...go back to msconfig and recheck that box

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
In msconfig general tab there is no option to uncheck anything, you can only select normal startup (which is selected) diagnostic startup or selective startup which is the one I selected, applied and restarted then when the reboot completed it was back on normal startup...Anywho I also disabled all norton programs and tried again with the same results.....

Trey