Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC shuts down by itself

• Please log in to reply

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently tested some new memory to see if my motherboard would run it. I put the new memory in the 2nd slot and left he old memory in the 1st slot.
The PC booted up fine and I ran everest to see if it would pick up the new memory.. which it did.
I shut the PC down to put the other new memory in the 1st slot and restarted.
Here is where the problem occurred.
I restarted the computer. The XP logo appeared and then the blue screen like usual. Then the computer reboots. It then goes through the same process again...and again...and again.
I would usually be able to muddle my way through simple things , and the harder I need assistance. Not having the computer actualy on ... I have no idea !!

Thanks\\Chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you put the old ram back in does it work? how many total new sticks are you putting in? are they all the same type?

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried to put the old ram back in and the same thing happens.
The 2 new ram are the same type , but the first time I logged in was with 2 different types. Now , no matter what I have in (old/new, new/new, old/old) the same thing happens.

Stabicron

Stabicron

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I tried to put the old ram back in and the same thing happens.
The 2 new ram are the same type , but the first time I logged in was with 2 different types. Now , no matter what I have in (old/new, new/new, old/old) the same thing happens.

Try leaving the new RAM out and just have the one old stick in the 1st slot. What I am curious is wether it could be a faulty ram slot.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have switched over and tried every combination. Same thing happens. Everything was running fine before I shutdown the first time after putting the new RAM in.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try booting with no ram....do you get one long beep?

reset the bios---turn the machine off...unplug it from the wall...open it up and take out the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and hold the power button in for about 5 to 10 seconds...put the battery back in...along with the original ram...plug it in and turn it on...

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah .. with no RAM there is one long beep.

Tried your suggestion .... same outcome as before. Gets the blue screen for a split second , then reboots.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I let continue to reboot itself , and after the 4th or 5th time, it just logged in normally. I changed them RAM over to the new ... and now everything works fine. What the... ??? I think re-setting the bios must have helped.

Thanks again.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I think I spoke too soon. This morning tried to log in and reverting back to the old problem. Should never have [bleep] it down last night.

Could the OS be shutting it down to prevent files being lost ?
Maybe it has nothing to down with the RAM at all ???

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
anyone ?

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an idea,
While booting up keep pressing F8 before the Windw logo appears, this will get into a menu where you can select configurations like Safe Mode and Restore the last working Configuration.
Here you select: Disable Rebooting on System Error (Or somthing simular I don't know anymore)

Try that, it should reboot and boor as normal, but there probably will be an error message before you can get userselection. Tell me what that message says I might be able to help you further on.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Run the Disable Rebooting on System Error and the error message on blue screen is

Techincal information
***STOP 0x0000007B (0XFC938528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

When I try and startup in safemode... its get to the file

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Mup.SYS and always shuts down.

Thanks for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you've got an issue with a driver (probably your graphix driver) could you try updating it?