Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make geekstogo SPIN! :-)

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Safety feature, perhaps? To prevent someone from posting a malicious script?

Um, yes. :whistling:

Almost positive it's a server side security "feature". We don't want people posting links that can run unauthorized javascript in your browser. :blink:

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Which is why I was trying to run it in the first place :blink: I thought that might be the case :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Cool trick. Could you make it your home page or do you have to type www.geekstogo.com every time then?

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
COOL MAN!

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
For me I had to copy the code from the website that you linked to. You have to load the page fully first then delete the url and then copy the java script in. Couldn't you make a button on your toolbar to just click on to get it to spin any page?

If you change some of the varaibles then it changes how the page spins.

~Matt :-)

c00l @qu@r!an

c00l @qu@r!an

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
yup.. it doesnt work

Edited by c00l @qu@r!an, 03 September 2006 - 01:47 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yes it does, after you copy and paste it into the URL you must remove the space between java script. As it has already been mentioned it is a security feature so that if someone was posting maliuos code, someone would copy and paste in and find themselves in trouble.
James

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
yeah, it works on some pages, if you do it right away. There's a few other one's i've seen like this. You can do some pretty cool stuff with javascript.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
o ya! It's on my today list to learn.....
James

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I'm looking at ajax at the moment, you can recieve information instantly without refreshing a complete web page. Very quick and saves bandwith.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
bandwith isn't a problem, we get cable here with unlimited for 30$ a month.....in canada no ISP has a limit that i know of......i'd hate to be on a limit......i'd be screwed.
James

Edit: what is this ajax anyways?

Edited by james_8970, 04 September 2006 - 11:30 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Basically, it's an interactive internet. Unlike you're interactive desktop, the internet is rather one way. You enter information, it goes all the way back and gives you all the information again. Not just the bits you want. (Making it very slow for some). It's hard to explain, i've only just started to explore it myself.
Here's a link:
http://www.adaptivep...ives/000385.php
(AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript + XML)
I'll find some examples later...

edit: I have unlimited Internet too, but after ten gigs it slows from 8mbps to 64 kbps :whistling:

Edited by sarahw, 04 September 2006 - 06:12 PM.

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Now lests make it excessive compulsive!

Copy and paste this. I edited it to make it faster :whistling:

Well if you change it to (500*Math.cos(x*Math.PI/180)) and void(5) it goes crazy.

Edited by mbridges7718, 04 September 2006 - 07:19 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol :whistling:

Thanx for that sarahw, wasn't sure what you where talking about before. Looks like an interesting read and i'm going to dive into it tomorrow.
thanx
James

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Copy & paste this:

That'll work:

javascript:x=0;e=document.body;e.style.position="absolute";function rt(){e.style.top=100-(50*Math.cos(x*Math.PI/180))+"px";e.style.left=100+(50*Math.sin(x*Math.PI/180))+"px";x+=5};setInterval("rt()",50);void(0);

For every safety trick there is a "solution" :whistling: