Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dial up connection and microsft .net frame work

• Please log in to reply

nurujem

nurujem

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i use windows xp service pack one.i installed microsoft .net framework 1.1 .since then the computer connects to the internet by dialing with out asked to do so..also i experianced slowness.i tried every thing to make the connection stop from conncecting by itself.i use dial up conncection.please help me or tell me what i have to do.what is the purpose of microsoft .net framework 1.1.my computer is dell optiplex one, pentium three 448 mhz processer and 384 mb of ram.

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
As far as I know, you don't need .NET for a dialup connection.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I did dotnet framework several months ago and encountered many problems immediatly. Contacted micrisoft, #1 gave them control of my PC, #2 they installed a different installer, #3 they ran severeral processes, #4 they installed a few KBXXX.... whatever fixes and the problems have vanished. The very nice guy from Microsoft in India said I probably didn't need "dotnet" anyway but I have it now and all is well. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

As far as I know, you don't need .NET for a dialup connection.

correct...but you do need the .net framework for certain software packages and programs that are designed to use it...you could remove it...but there may (probably will be) a time when you'll need to reinstall it...

you may want to go through the malware forum to get a checkup as there are alot of autodialers out there...

also...when you start up your dialup connection make sure that "connect automatically" isn't checked

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
The slowness can be explained by the 448Mhz processor and 384MB RAM