Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Israel...

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To CNN everyone is a terrorist. While you can technically call them a terrorist as they have been declared on some countries its unfair to use the word, "terrorist" is a word used far to often.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

To CNN everyone is a terrorist.

:whistling: so true, i should have known better :blink:
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 July 2006 - 10:04 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
It would be hard by any deffinition to actually term this a global war since much of the globe will be out of the direct theater of opperation: however, its effects worldwide will be felt, directly in trade, tourism and security.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, the RN has had to send several ships to evacuate our people, they even sent the Illustrious which at the moment is the RNs most powerful warship to get them which means that they are at least taking the threat seriously know.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ya canada is now starting to prepare to evacuate....took them long enough to start thinking about it. Yet they are taking them into syria and then flying them out....but the roads that they are using are being bombed by israel.....germany is doing the same, they put a little wee flag on the front of the bus that evacuating the people and hope the bombers see it.....:whistling: At least we are using ships to evacute from israel, must be some kind of a problem to do it though lebbanon due to the ships entourning it....

At the moment i don't see a posibility of global conflict, but i'll see the posibility grow large lenghs if Iran, syria or both join the war.....this is a extremly sensetive time in the middle east, I hope another country doesn't join into this war and get more countless lives lost over something that shouldn't have even began to begin with.......
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2006 - 04:11 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hopefully the fact that the lebanese ruling party is actually anti syrian will help keep them out.

The UK governemt is letting other countries use RAF akitori in cyprus to evacuate people but they are having problems getting there. The RN warships were able to get in ok the isrealis opened a window in the bloackade for them, they could have blocked the glouscter and bulwark but they would have had to get out the way of illustrius either way. The evacuation will speed up once HMS bulwark is in the area as its an ampibious troop carrier(brand new one as well) it can carry may be 600 or so in one go probably more if they use the vehicle deck it should be there tommorow it will probably do alot of the work as illustrious and glouscter arent as capable of carrynig the people out.

I wouldnt be surprised if the navy started evacuating other nations nationals after ours as there doesnt seem to be a great willingness to put assets in the area. The US is even making its people PAY to leave lebanon.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The US is even making its people PAY to leave lebanon.

thats horrible!
ya canada will be in the area soon with our navy, or so the goverment says.....we where ill prepared for this, not that our navy is any good either :blink: Canadian millitary........ :whistling: I great that they finally discided to replace our trucks that are 30 years old.....not to mention our helicopters that take 24 hours matenience minimum for every hour of flight, god thats badm and i'm jsut getting started.
Good thing this is the off topic area of the forum, already getting pretty far off topic......
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2006 - 05:30 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

The US is even making its people PAY to leave lebanon.

Not true...the greedy cruise lines are charging Americans (and everyone else that wants to leave aboard their tubs) to board their ships. We have a few ships on the way...well armed ships...that will be evacuating our citizens. Without charge.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Evacuate with the safety of a military boat, free of charge in a war ravaged zone. Or board a cruise line and evacuate in style - without saftey. Hard descision.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2006 - 05:49 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The sad part is that these Cruise ships were only allowed through Israel's blockade because they "volunteered" to help in the evacuation.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: they volunteered to make a profite, just like i'm sure every employee, "volunteered" to be on that ship. Who ever thought about bringing a multi billion dollar boat into a war ravaged area is pretty desperate for either a new image or money.
James

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...they certainly got the new image. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but according to the reports on the news those rather expensive ships are the only US ships for the citizeins to use as apparently the US warships arent going to be there in time and the embassy is telling people not to wait, they are also charging them standard civilian prices for flights from akitori according to the BBC report and the ITV report i watched this afternoon.

The ports are pretty safe at the moment there are non Hezbollah forces in that area and again the RN warships all of which as far as i know are fitted with goalkeeper CIWS which is like the bog brother of the phalanx cannons so pretty safe from israel and hezbollah in the ports, its a calculated risk they will be making a killing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Problem solved...the US State Dept. has chartered said ocean liners...all who want to leave may now do so free of charge... :whistling:

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

A direct attack on Iran and Syria if anything will would kick of another global war. They are allready pushing it Israel is kinda overstepping the mark a bit at the moment and they cant continue if they do it will be very worrying as it has alot of potential to go wrong for all of us.

I too agree with the fact that if syria & iran step in or israel attacks one of them then i have no doubt it will set off a global war which will cause the world to choose their sides & the battle will begin...especially that at that point much of the middle east will be fighting..so how could the rest of the big players such as russia, japan, china, france not get involved. but if israel cooperates with the UN than i can see things simmering down a bit. i can honestly say that this particular current tension unlike the iraq war makes me rather uneasy inside.